Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start varmant hunting but not sure where to start, my wife just bought me an Encore muzzleloader with a 223 barrel and 7mm-08 barrel, but I don't know where to go for coyote and what caliber I should and help will be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
6,904 Posts
finish filling out your profile so we know where you live to give suggestions. i would use the 223 for yotes.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
coyotes tend to inhabit all types of areas. BUT the best types of areas are: farmland, thick woods, cedar swamps, among others. things that you need to look for are availability of food.(bunnies, mice, ground squirrels) once you are in an area that may have coyotes. drive the roads after a rain or snow and look for tracks. listen for yotes to howl at night..try and howl to them to make them howl. yote hunting is tough, but great fun. persistance and effort in scouting (as in most types of hunting) will lead you to success. 223 is a great yote caliber.

good luck, im going to try going out tonight. i havent night hunted yet this year, but im getting skunked in the dayso its time to try something different.

mike

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im going to try going out tonight. i havent night hunted yet this year, but im getting skunked in the dayso its time to try something different.

Sorry I don't mean to ask so many question, but you can legally hunt at night for yotes?

·
Super Moderator
6,904 Posts
yes you can hunt then at night. do a search on here for night hunting and read through the posts. there are gun and light restrictions for nighttime hunting. also do a search in the law forum for night time yote hunting. some of the best nights are with a full moon and no clouds in the sky. you can see a long ways with snow on the ground.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
there are however a few extra rules. you cannot use your 223 at night. rimfire cartriges 22 cal or smaller are all that are allowed for rifles. and shotguns that are used cannot be loaded with slugs buckshot or cut shells. so basically you are going to have to use a turkey or heavy waterfowl load. a quick look at your hunting and trapping guide will provide most of the answers that you need.

mike

·
Premium Member
8,599 Posts
mhodnettjr said:
there are however a few extra rules. you cannot use your 223 at night. rimfire cartriges 22 cal or smaller are all that are allowed for rifles. and shotguns that are used cannot be loaded with slugs buckshot or cut shells. so basically you are going to have to use a turkey or heavy waterfowl load. a quick look at your hunting and trapping guide will provide most of the answers that you need.

mike

Mike-
Why do i hear so much about coyote hunters using #4 buck??
Is this legal in the day and not at night? I bought 2 boxes last year for this purpose. Thanks ...

-Bob:)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
thats exactly right..using buckshot or slugs is restricted to daytime hunting. #4 buck is probably the most used and for that matter the best yote ammo you can put in your shotgun...but its only for daytime.

mike

·
Registered
420 Posts
go to the thread "setups" and read the advice there. was just posted last week. so on next page. or do a search, lots and lots of good info there for someone starting out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well today I went to Gander Mountain in G.R to see what other rifle barrels they offered for the Encore and over heard an older gentleman talking to his grandson about varmint hunting and I asked for some advice, he just looked at me and said I can tell you everything I know but you won't learn a thing unless you go out and do it first hand, anyways to make a long story short he invited me out next weekend to scout, so hopefully I learn something, looking forward to it and thank you all for your advice and help, I'll let you know what happens next week

1 - 11 of 11 Posts