Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from the looks of these latest reports, it appears that the fish just arent there

the last time i was out (2/27) they werent there either

if we are approaching the last ice scenario, then youd think that theyd be coming in to the shallows in droves, but if this is last ice, then it is a full month ahead of last year

my notebook says that i was out at SANG, just killing them on APRIL 8th last year

anyone have any thoughts on the possibility that the fish just wont come in if we have a super fast meltdown???

·
Registered
259 Posts
I remember last year when the ice left, was getting jumbo perch in front of Gino's in 6-8 fow. Can't wait for the ice to leave and get my boat back in to get those jumbos. Used minnows to get'm.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
The more ice that go's out the better. The minnows and perch will slide under the ice that's left.

·
Registered
20,132 Posts
I'm not sure how you guys feel about it,, but I honestly think,, the run on "hogs" is over. From super bowl sunday, up until last weekend,, the spot I was fishin' was right in front of Crocker, about a half mile from Ed's, and the action was NONSTOP! It didn't matter what time of day, sleet, snow, rain, sun, clouds, cold, warm, the fish were hittin' and they were pigs!! Now they're GONE!, Just flat out GONE! I think they're "body timers" were a little off this year, they just started stackin' up, real early. I went out yesterday, to the same spot and got 1 fish, then moved closer to Ed's and ended up with 6 fish, total.:rolleyes: I don't think we'll see another good run until the ice is out, now. I hope I'm wrong.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
I'm still sticking by my "the best is yet to come theory"..... It's a big lake, they are here today and 4 miles away tommorw. I too have done well right after ice out in the open water, but am not ready to put the IF gear away yet.. I don't think that we are even close to spring..

Anyone know what water temp. perch spawn in??

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I look at it this way 200 people at ever given moment of the day every day for the last few months in a few miles between metro to Genos. If each person only caught 10 nice ones. That’s 2000 and if you had a one time turn around each day that would be 4000 fish. Now times that by 7 (seven days) and you get 28,000 fish and then for four weeks and your looking at 112,000 fish in one month in just a small area for two months 224,000 now were talking a half a million fish! And one has to wonder where are all the fish in everyone’s freezer. And I’m sure that my guesses are low at best.:confused: :eek: :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got skunked at Gino's saturday so make that 499,990 fish taken so far.
What a great season.

Hopefuly we will get another cold blast.... soon

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
We went into bottom line, for minnows, asked about the perchin at the dyke he said "hot, very hot last week" then, a guy brings in a picture of a limit of 10+ inchers from there:eek: So, our hopes for up, of course, we caught 4 fish, and, everyone was doing about the same. It seems like they were down there, not active, my bet is after this rain, we'll get some good runoff, and they will put the feedbag on. It seems its the same story all across the waterway, major HIT or MISS, that is how it always is right before last ice, its not quite last ice, there is still a ton of ice, when its late ice, it usually has less than 10 inches of ice, and honeycomb, when it honeycombs, that is the big sign of late ice, at the dyke, and from what i hear on st.clair, there is still tons of ice, with no or little honeycombs, means its not melting too fast. Wait until some of this ice melts, then, it should be incredible, cause, i overheard this i think either conversation oficer, or fish biologist talking, he said there will jsut be a tremendous amount of 10-14+ inchers all across st.clair, det river, and west. basin lake erie. Also heard him say that the 03' walleye hatch was jsut outstanding, said in a couple years, populations should skyrocket. He said this year, fish will run bigger than last year, about 18-23 inches. Always good when you hear good news on the fishery;)

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Originally posted by Ed Michrina
The more ice that go's out the better. The minnows and perch will slide under the ice that's left.
Excellent point Ed. I've seen this happen many times up North on Hamlin Lake in Ludington.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Lawnboy....nice figuring....its good to see somebody finally agrees with my totally uneducated and unsupported by facts opinion. We've never had a year like this....we are now reaping the benifits of the 3 or 4 years when the lake never froze. It left all those perch out there uncaught....and led to a fantastic fishery this year. And we DID catch the snot out of them....I keep wondering in amazement "how long can this go on" being that I took another 40 out of Fair Haven today in 5 feet of water......and missed so many other hogs that went by. Maybe its good for the fishery that the ice may leave us on the shore after this week....we gotta leave these things to spawn sometime so that we can hopefully have another good year like this in the future.....lets hope it happens again next year!!! Glenn

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
It was a great year for all sizes of perch. The thing I noticed this year is a HUGE amount of yearling perch. 1 to 3 inchers. They were everywhere and in numbers. I'm thinking in 3 or 4 years There will be another strong year for perch:)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I also seen lots of yearlings this year and you are right this was a great year for the JUMBOS...:D

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
FISHED COTTON RD. ON MONDAY AND SAW HUNDREDS OF PERCH FINGERS .FISHED SANG TODAY AND SOME STORY HUNDREDS . ED'S GOT A POINT 3 OR 4 YEARS SHOULD BE A BUMBER .

A/K/A MING MING

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I haven't done as well as last year. I'm averaging about 25 fish a trip with approx. 10 keepers (9"+). I don't know what it is but I do know the season this year is definitely SHORTER than last year as Koby said. I remember fishing in early April.

Also, I agree with Ed. Lots and lots of microperch around. It should be great in a few years if they can avoid the predators.

Zob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts