Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,673 Posts
Nice scratch bird...

Given the size and coloring and wariness of this bird it is unlike any pheasant I've killed at this preserve or any other "Pheasant Farm." It didn't have that "big belly" like most pen raised birds, the color is much lighter than other birds at this place and it wasn't particularly heavy like most pen raised roosters - 34 bars.

It was skulking around in an ungodly thick semi-wet swamp - brambles, green brier, 12' brush, waist high wet grass etc. that borders the planted crops on this preserve. Taser got on it about thirty yards into the swamp (he likes this kind of cover much more than boring strips of sorghum etc. and would like nothing more than to spend the whole day just pokin' around in it) - point/move, point move and not pushing the bird. Third point was the charm - I guess the bird got tired of all of this foolishness with the dog and and came rocketing out of the cover about 20-25 yards from where I was. Long, climbing quartering shot at about 40-45 yards and the bird plummeted - head shot (?)*. Taser got there ahead of me and was standing in a copse of brushy woods with the dead bird in his mouth. :)

Here's the bird -

Taser wanted to get in on the picture taking but once there he, of course wouldn't cooperate -

9mm Hi-Power

* Sporting Clays does pay off now and again ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nice scratch bird...

Given the size and coloring and wariness of this bird it is unlike any pheasant I've killed at this preserve or any other "Pheasant Farm." It didn't have that "big belly" like most pen raised birds, the color is much lighter than other birds at this place and it wasn't particularly heavy like most pen raised roosters - 34 bars.

It was skulking around in an ungodly thick semi-wet swamp - brambles, green brier, 12' brush, waist high wet grass etc. that borders the planted crops on this preserve. Taser got on it about thirty yards into the swamp (he likes this kind of cover much more than boring strips of sorghum etc. and would like nothing more than to spend the whole day just pokin' around in it) - point/move, point move and not pushing the bird. Third point was the charm - I guess the bird got tired of all of this foolishness with the dog and and came rocketing out of the cover about 20-25 yards from where I was. Long, climbing quartering shot at about 40-45 yards and the bird plummeted - head shot (?)*. Taser got there ahead of me and was standing in a copse of brushy woods with the dead bird in his mouth. :)

Here's the bird -

Taser wanted to get in on the picture taking but once there he, of course wouldn't cooperate -

9mm Hi-Power

* Sporting Clays does pay off now and again ;)
Nice! What you say is possible. Only one time I ever shot a wild bird (in season) at a preserve (Rooster Ranch) about 25-years ago. Only way I could tell: no large hole drilled through the beak, tailfeathers un-matted, and very little fat after cleaning (compared to the rest of the birds we shot there).

Frank

·
Premium Member
5,673 Posts
Nice! What you say is possible. Only one time I ever shot a wild bird (in season) at a preserve (Rooster Ranch) about 25-years ago. Only way I could tell: no large hole drilled through the beak, tailfeathers un-matted, and very little fat after cleaning (compared to the rest of the birds we shot there).

Frank
Well I figured someone was going to corner me on this sooner or later and you got me :bonk:. I stopped at a buddy's house to show him about the bird . He looked it over said the appropriate things - "...looks like a wild bird..." etc. etc. , listened to my story, petted Taser and then said "Sorry" while pointing out the drilled hole in the beak. :eek:

9mm Hi-Power

·
Premium Member
5,673 Posts
Nice! Only one time I ever shot a wild bird (in season) at a preserve (Rooster Ranch) ...
When I lived in and around Detroit " ...A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." a number of times I went to the Rooster Ranch. I always had a great time there especially when:

I showed up one day with a brand new unfired Beretta 12 ga. that I had bought from Jaquas a few days before. I went thru the obvious routine with a new gun at home - solvent/patch thru the barrels, tried the trigger with snap-caps, tried the safety and everything was OK. Got up to the RR, birds were planted, I load the gun and as I always do push the safety off and back to on but - oh, oh - the safety will absolutely as in absolutely not go back to its on/safe position. I unload the Beretta, stowed the shotgun and go into the office and explain my dilemma : "Do you guys have a shotgun I can borrow ? " They came up with a B - to - S Remington 870 and if that full choked barrel was one inch long it was thirty inches long. Well - I went out with it and actually got a true double on a flushed hen/rooster - Wow !

There's a lesson to be learned from this but not quite sure what it is except to quote Shakespeare : "All's Well That Ends Well." ;)

9mm Hi-Power

Jaqua's had gotten a very good price on a number of Beretta O/Us that had been sequestered in an Australian warehouse for a number of years because of some sort of silly anti-gun political embargo and ultimately they could only be sold out of country ????? .

A piece of hardened grease had evidently gotten jammed in the safety mechanism causing the problem. I went down to Findlay with the shotgun, they pulled the butt stock, cleaned it thoroughly and with much apologies gave it back to me in safe working order.

9mm Hi-Power

·
Registered
177 Posts
When I lived in and around Detroit " ...A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." a number of times I went to the Rooster Ranch. I always had a great time there especially when:

I showed up one day with a brand new unfired Beretta 12 ga. that I had bought from Jaquas a few days before. I went thru the obvious routine with a new gun at home - solvent/patch thru the barrels, tried the trigger with snap-caps, tried the safety and everything was OK. Got up to the RR, birds were planted, I load the gun and as I always do push the safety off and back to on but - oh, oh - the safety will absolutely as in absolutely not go back to its on/safe position. I unload the Beretta, stowed the shotgun and go into the office and explain my dilemma : "Do you guys have a shotgun I can borrow ? " They came up with a B - to - S Remington 870 and if that full choked barrel was one inch long it was thirty inches long. Well - I went out with it and actually got a true double on a flushed hen/rooster - Wow !

There's a lesson to be learned from this but not quite sure what it is except to quote Shakespeare : "All's Well That Ends Well." ;)

9mm Hi-Power

Jaqua's had gotten a very good price on a number of Beretta O/Us that had been sequestered in an Australian warehouse for a number of years because of some sort of silly anti-gun political embargo and ultimately they could only be sold out of country ????? .

A piece of hardened grease had evidently gotten jammed in the safety mechanism causing the problem. I went down to Findlay with the shotgun, they pulled the butt stock, cleaned it thoroughly and with much apologies gave it back to me in safe working order.

9mm Hi-Power
Glad you're back in the game!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Was able to get a late season limit off the old family farm yesterday. Second bird hit the ground running and my dog lost the scent two different times but was able to finally track him down. the bird did a big down and out and covered well over 500 yards before Indy cornered him in some thick cover. I thought for sure we were going to lose him, very happy with the recovery.
Side note, I could not believe the amount of deer hunters out at the various public spots I like to hunt. Very lucky I had some private to hunt, was still able to hunt two public spots and put up birds at both. Cant wait to get back out again, hopefully with a little snow on the ground.

12132020.jpg
12142020_2.jpg

·
Registered
177 Posts
Was able to get a late season limit off the old family farm yesterday. Second bird hit the ground running and my dog lost the scent two different times but was able to finally track him down. the bird did a big down and out and covered well over 500 yards before Indy cornered him in some thick cover. I thought for sure we were going to lose him, very happy with the recovery.
Side note, I could not believe the amount of deer hunters out at the various public spots I like to hunt. Very lucky I had some private to hunt, was still able to hunt two public spots and put up birds at both. Cant wait to get back out again, hopefully with a little snow on the ground.

View attachment 617161 View attachment 617163
Congrats on a great day and your dog's impressive retrieve. Very cool photos too! Yesterday was a perfect day for chasing birds. My dog went on point in a roadside ditch on public land but by the time I reached him and started kicking around, (2) roosters flushed about 40-yards ahead of us. Fired twice but no connection. Fun day though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks like a terrible time, just terrible.
The worst part is coming home.Ever since I first visited it has been my dream to buy an abandoned house fix it up and live there for the rest of my days.I even got a line on one while out there this time. Might have to return in January and check it out.
B5AF3812-8ED8-4B9F-974A-38EB4DC75513.jpeg
One of my new favorite spots.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Had a great day getting the lay of the land on some public dirt we haven’t been to yet. The wife now thinks she is automatically invited on every pheasant hunting excursion now. I think she really enjoys it. The dog got a good working. After 3 miles of walking according to the wife’s watch Hank put up the one and only bird of the day 200 yards from the truck. A beautiful hen. I did indulge on a non target species, a rabbit to itch the trigger finger. Had a great time. I was shocked we didn't see a few more birds with the beautiful cover we hunted thanks to PFF. I know where I will be next opening day of pheasant season. Oh and thanks to the wife for the great photography, I was worried she would miss a bird with the camera in hand so much.
5605876F-C760-4B00-8CA9-B405F6BE10F9.jpeg
7BD8AAA9-C406-4358-B4AB-616D90C748B9.jpeg
89DF746B-4F00-41C2-B679-EDE257BAA289.jpeg
F47169E6-E52E-46B5-A5D2-106A8A675222.jpeg

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Had a great day getting the lay of the land on some public dirt we haven’t been to yet. The wife now thinks she is automatically invited on every pheasant hunting excursion now. I think she really enjoys it. The dog got a good working. After 3 miles of walking according to the wife’s watch Hank put up the one and only bird of the day 200 yards from the truck. A beautiful hen. I did indulge on a non target species, a rabbit to itch the trigger finger. Had a great time. I was shocked we didn't see a few more birds with the beautiful cover we hunted thanks to PFF. I know where I will be next opening day of pheasant season. Oh and thanks to the wife for the great photography, I was worried she would miss a bird with the camera in hand so much. View attachment 619527 View attachment 619529 View attachment 619531 View attachment 619533
Now that there is a field bred golden!
Sweet!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hit the grouse woods today. Hunted a cover that I haven’t hunted in a few years due to the number of porkies. Of course Jax found a porkie...luckily it was in a hole in a tree and he held his point near the tree. I heeled him about 15 yards away and put him in a down stay. I made my way back to the tree and made sure that porkie wouldn’t be bothering any dogs in the future. Our good deed was rewarded with a nice late season grouse.

IMG_1617.JPG
IMG_1618.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG
IMG_1629.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
775 Posts
What a cool looking grouse. Red phase body with a grey tail!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

81 - 100 of 120 Posts