Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is a good time to hinge cut trees? before the spring? How do you determin a good spot to hinge cut what makes it an ideal place? Or are you just looking to give more browse and cover locations?
Thanks for any info you can give me.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
As far as when..... As long as they aren't oaks you should cut when you have the chance. If this weekend works, go cut.... if May 1st works go cut.

Cutting helps create both browse and cover. Depending on how high the hinge cut is kind of determines if you are making a bedding area or if you are trying to create stand alone cover. If you are making bedding I would make sure you are cutting in a higher dry ground location.

If you utilize the search function, you will find a ton of info regarding hinge cuts or TSI. I would recommend that before you fire up the saw

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I only hinge cut when trees are dormant to get the most out of the regrowth from the root system. The last couple of weeks hinge cutting has been going well. Trees aren't frozen yet and bend decently, but not too easily. :coolgleam

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
That's a good question you ask. I don't think that question has ever come up here before.
I think Bio has commented on that question or very very similar

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
I only hinge cut when trees are dormant to get the most out of the regrowth from the root system. The last couple of weeks hinge cutting has been going well. Trees aren't frozen yet and bend decently, but not too easily. :coolgleam
Two weeks of hinge cutting......maybe you need to borrow a UHT?:D

·
Registered
35,222 Posts
The best time to cut is when you have time. The second best time is when the trees are dormant but not when its brutally cold.

·
Premium Member
13,402 Posts
It was pretty darn cold that first week of January this year when I tried some hinging of elm, box elder, bitternut, hackberry. And tho I was careful and have some experience I was getting some snap-offs that shouldn't have occurred (although the elms did good). I quit, with intentions to start it up again in late April.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts