Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we were fishing and we didn't do very well :( The Vexilar said there were fish down there but we weren't getting very many bites. We tried every teardrop we had and all kinds of stuff but they jsut weren't biting. Do you guys have any tricks to get them to bite when they don't want to?

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
I'm sure there must be a good fish market nearby. That's what I felt like doing last winter. Pouring yourself a cup of coffee usually worked for my grandfather. :)

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
you have to move. the fish your sitting over aren't on the bite. but somewhere else they will be. If that dosen't work move again. I think you get the drift.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
If its on a Monday stop and get a pound of whitefish on the way home ( fresh delivery day). :D Mmm tasty

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
move move move and move again. Fish with the smallest dang thing you have...maybe a fly....or do somethign weird like put a dozen spikes on a hook....i've been known to try stranger things. minnow tails....etc.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
That's why you need a CAMERA ! Put it down and see WHAT kind of fish they are and what else is going on down there. How they are reacting to your various presentations etc. (If they were even fish !):eek:

:cool:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Try a single spike on a very small hook. 14 or smaller. I used on a dropper under a jig and worked good on gills that would not hit anything else.

·
Registered
249 Posts
...Crack a beer and enjoy a general BS session with my fishing partners!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I agree with move! If fish are there and not biting in about a half hour to 45 minutes it's Time to try else where!
Whale, get your head out of there!;)

chad1

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Move, Move, and Move again, like the other's have mentioned. I was out yesterday and couldn't get any to bite. I moved alot and jigged very erratic and then they would hit. Would jig like this for a minute then let it settle down, then repeat, this did the trick. ALothough I couldn't get the hook into 'em, but they were hitting after doing this. I tried minnows but couldn't get them to hit a minnow for the life of me, they just wanted waxies. If this don't happen within 30min for me, then I am on the move again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When i'm seeing fish but they're reacting negatively to teardrops or other "heavier" presentations, I use either a very small aberdeen with a single waxie, no weight, or a tiny nymph fly with no weight. The slow fall will usually get them to bite. I caught a 10" bluegill yesterday with a small green caddis. No questions asked, he just nailed it.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Originally posted by Huntin Horseman
....... Do you guys have any tricks to get them to bite when they don't want to?
Dynamite or Handgranedes! ;) :eek: :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have used most of these tricks, small hook size 14 with single waxie, or my new favorite, worked last weekend was a black size 12 gnat fly. I put a small splitshot about 3 foot above the fly. This was to drop it to the bottom. The fly would slowly drop to the bottom. Had to watch the spring bobber very carefully. Bites just lifted the spring up about 1/4 inch.

It's almost like carolina rigging in the summer. Seemed to work on the gills.

If that don't work after 15 minutes move and move again. Somewhere on the lake the fish are biting!!!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The last 2 times I went to the Metro Basin, I stopped in the party store next to the bait shop and picked up one of their italian subs. When the bite would stop I would break up a couple little pieces of the white cheese that came on the sub (i don't like cheese) and drop it in the hole. Within' about 10 seconds, I would have a bite going on both lines. Now, I can't explain why this happens, but it did happen about 8 time outta 10. Go Figure.......

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Break out a game of Monopoly.

Seriously though before moving try using the smallest line and teardrop you can find. I have some poles spooled with 4lb, some 2lb, and yes even some with 1lb.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I jig very aggressive and then let the minnow lay on the bottom. This works when you can sight fish as you will be able to see them come in and judge the reaction. Last year was a tough bite for me almost all year. The 2 things that worked were perch spoons jigged very aggressive and the lay it on the botton trick.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Fished a lake the other day and caught 6 bass but the gills wouldnt bite, they were down there, but nothing. Left that evening and stopped at another lake and everyone out there had piles of fish and the bite was on. Kinda weird, just depends on where you are at.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts