Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Spring 2020-
FIL remembers being at home and wanting a cheeseburger. Next thing he remembers is waking up in a totaled car in the woods. The entire family, including himself, agree that he won't be getting another car or driving again. The blackout was diagnosed as a heart issue. Sometimes it would just shutdown and then restart, shutdown, restart.... repeat.
4 weeks later he has a pacemaker installed.

Mid summer 2020-
FIL shows up unexpectedly at my house to show us his brand new car. He re-assures us that with his new pacemaker, all is good. We are concerned.

Fall 2020-
FIL goes to SOS to renew his license. Can't pass the standard renewal test or the eye test. They don't issue him a new license. Since then, he let's his friends and neighbors use his "new" car to run out and get beer and cigarettes for him.... oh, and cheeseburgers.

My wife and I get his groceries and supplies on Sundays.
This killed my FIL. He was driving 50 or so...ran off the road hit a tree. DOA.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
I started wondering about this last summer. 2 consecutive visits with my dad he mentioned how rude drivers are getting. Told me several stories of people speeding around him and either honking or giving him the finger. I laughed at first because i remember him talking about my grandma complaining of the same terrible drivers when she began aging. Then he told me the story of a guy passing him on an on ramp to I 75 and flipping him the bird. Second person to give him the finger that day he said. Really made me wonder if things are worse with him than I realize.
Hmm...but then are those AH's who drive like SH's. Just yesterday I was on 75 heading south and then headed west on 696. A driver tried to pass me on the right in a new BMW, then got onto my right and wanted to force me into merging into traffic. I think he dicided his new car was worth enough to back off...I was the one with the finger :)

Anyhow...Your story is spot on.

·
Administrator
26,677 Posts
I started wondering about this last summer. 2 consecutive visits with my dad he mentioned how rude drivers are getting. Told me several stories of people speeding around him and either honking or giving him the finger. I laughed at first because i remember him talking about my grandma complaining of the same terrible drivers when she began aging. Then he told me the story of a guy passing him on an on ramp to I 75 and flipping him the bird. Second person to give him the finger that day he said. Really made me wonder if things are worse with him than I realize.
My dad and mother tell me the same. Dad will be driving just under the speed limit and will have drivers right up on their bumper. They are afraid of someone pulling a gun out.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
My dad and mother tell me the same. Dad will be driving just under the speed limit and will have drivers right up on their bumper. They are afraid of someone pulling a gun out.
My cousin drove with his 89 y.o. Mother (my Aunt) from down river to Northern Michigan. He told me she camped out in the left lane doing the speed limit all the way up. he said they had people loosing their minds the whole time. No amount of talking could get her to move to the right lane. He said he was scared for his life. :lol:

41 - 45 of 45 Posts