Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Siblings can be an issue. My only brother lives 6 hours away, so he didn't have to deal with daily errands. My wife is an only, so she was an almost daily for her parents. Her mother never drove, and passed at 99.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
My dad is 74 and borrows my Miata for track days when he wants to be "reminded of how fast his Corvette is".

We will never have this talk. He's too independent and too stubborn. Buy he's also smart enough to know his limitations.

Reactions: 6Speed

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
We had to do it with my parents. They were in an assisted living facility, so they really did not need to drive. They liked going out to lunch but woul get lost going back. They would call saying they were lost in a town that they were very familiar with. I would ask for road signs and guide them back.
Had a conversation with my siblings and we all agreed it was time to take the keys. We knew it would not be easy because mom is very stubborn. I drew the shot straw, so I had to do the deed. I had my sister drive me there and told my parents I needed to borrow their car because my truck was in the shop. They had no problem letting me borrow it. Mom called a week later wanting to know when I was returning the car. I told her there were unexpected problems and parts were back ordered. She excepted that. It was hard to lie to them. She called a week later all pissed off saying "did you think we gave it to you?" That's when I told her we had to take it because they were getting lost. Well that did not go over good at all. She insisted they never got lost and demanded I return the car. I did not want to argue so I told her I would return it hoping she would forget. She would call every week and be mad as heck. So I told her I would bring it back on Saturday, she was satisfied. Every week she would call and I said I would return it on Saturday, and she was happy with that answer. Eventually her memory faded and she forgot about it.
One of the hardest things to do but it was necessary.
Dad had mild azhiemer's and mom had dementia. It is terrible watching them go through it.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Another option is to call the insurance company and have the coverage stopped. Driving the vehicle becomes illegal. That's a last resort option. My insurance agent suggested it. I had POA status, so it was an option for me. Probably can't do it without POA.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
We had to do it with my parents. They were in an assisted living facility, so they really did not need to drive. They liked going out to lunch but woul get lost going back. They would call saying they were lost in a town that they were very familiar with. I would ask for road signs and guide them back.
Had a conversation with my siblings and we all agreed it was time to take the keys. We knew it would not be easy because mom is very stubborn. I drew the shot straw, so I had to do the deed. I had my sister drive me there and told my parents I needed to borrow their car because my truck was in the shop. They had no problem letting me borrow it. Mom called a week later wanting to know when I was returning the car. I told her there were unexpected problems and parts were back ordered. She excepted that. It was hard to lie to them. She called a week later all pissed off saying "did you think we gave it to you?" That's when I told her we had to take it because they were getting lost. Well that did not go over good at all. She insisted they never got lost and demanded I return the car. I did not want to argue so I told her I would return it hoping she would forget. She would call every week and be mad as heck. So I told her I would bring it back on Saturday, she was satisfied. Every week she would call and I said I would return it on Saturday, and she was happy with that answer. Eventually her memory faded and she forgot about it.
One of the hardest things to do but it was necessary.
Dad had mild azhiemer's and mom had dementia. It is terrible watching them go through it.
Yes it is.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,161 Posts
We took dads when he couldn't remember where they were and was asking someone we couldn't see, where they were. He took every key he could find and tried it in the car. Probably waited longer than we should have. That was a sad day for us all. He was pissed.

·
Registered
13,455 Posts
My dad is 74 and borrows my Miata for track days when he wants to be "reminded of how fast his Corvette is".

We will never have this talk. He's too independent and too stubborn. Buy he's also smart enough to know his limitations.
Smart has very little to do with it. As we age our reflexes slow down. Our synapses don't make connections as fast. And our thoughts get...........confused. It happens to everyone who makes it to old-age, but can be much worse for people who develop conditions, or diseases that affect their thinking.

My Father developed Alzheimers, and got to be a real terror behind the wheel. He liked to observe things he was driving by, and would drift left, or right, and sometimes crossed the center line of roads, or drove onto the shouldger. He didn't take long drives, but drove around Bay City to visit people, and run errands. And he'd drive 75 minutes to our cabin, and back. At some point my Mother let us know that his driving was very poor, and she was afraid he would make a mistake driving, and kill someone. And she didn't now how to address this with him, as he had already been The Driver in the family. Since he had Alzheimers, and forgot where he puts things all the time, I told her to just lose his car keys. In other words, hide his car keys so he cannot find them, and drive. And play dumb, and ask where he left them when he asks for help looking for them. Both sets. And hide them well, and carefully, so if he decided to start searching for them, they would not turn up. That worked perfectly, and he adjusted to the notion that his keys were lost, quickly. It was never a major concern, and Dad never drove again. Funny, she sold his car while he was still at home, and he never questioned how the Buyer drove it away.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
My dad runs better lap times than I do in my own car, and can hang with me shooting skeet and shame me shooting trap and I don't miss many. Must have been all those pheasants 50 years ago. When we put a new roof on the barn summer before last, he flat out outworked me, and I did a 100 mile bike race that summer.

Which is going to make it all the harder if we ever have to have this discussion.

Reactions: DanSS26

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My dad got in a couple of small accidents, ran red lights unaware, got lost driving home from the grocer, and my sisters and I decided it was time. He disagreed. His doctors did agree and declared him unfit to drive. He hired a lawyer and got that overturned. He lived about another year and somehow managed to stay out of trouble driving during that time. An awful lot of unpleasantness over the issue though.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
My dad died at 88 in 2002.but when he was 86 they sent him a renewal for four years.He evan said crazy that he could renew by mail at his age.He allready quit driving on his own

·
Premium Member
8,958 Posts
My brother and sister were both in denial so I helped from 800 miles away. The third time I got wind of an incident I called my cousin Cindy. She works for the State Troopers and does the drivers testing for the reqion. She's a very honest Christian girl and always does the right thing. She sent a letter saying they needed a test and it wasn't my fault or Cindy's that they didn't pass. Cindy did the right thing and my folks respected her decision....but still bitched!

·
Registered
12,677 Posts
Sad but true. My uncles FIL forgot his car running parked out front of a Restaurant in town in the middle of the road.. They had to fight with him

·
Premium Member
8,958 Posts
Whomever gets my keys should probably consider collecting the guns up first. They're all over the house, garage, truck, so look close. Even my wife doesn't know where some are but she knows they're loaded and to leave them alone when she runs across one.

Something else to consider with us old farts. We might just shoot you instead of hand you the keys!!! (Just kidding of course FBI guys watching)...

Could be worth a new thread about the gun topic. My dad owned a gun store when he got older and it broke his spirit to loose his guns. We kept a display cased 1863 revolver next to his bed until he passed to make him feel better. It's on the wall in my home office now (unloaded!).

·
Registered
26,512 Posts
"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep, like my Grandpa did. Not like the other 4 people who were in the car with him."

Funny, until it's not.
My Great Grandmother died on the way to visit Great Grandfather at the extended care home. She had a massive heart attack, left the road, took out someone's fence and hit a tree. They said she was most likely dead before her car left the road. She was 92.

·
Registered
25,157 Posts
It was hard for my Grandpa but he knew it was time, he gave up his license with only one stipulation, that someone came over every evening to take him and the dog for a ride.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
My grandparents knew when it was time so there never was a issue with them. Mom is still a good driver at 88. Hey, being in the body shop business old drivers help the bottom line as long as no one gets hurt. Had one old guy who passed many years ago that kept coming in to have the right rear of his vehicle fixed. Obvious to me that he was backing into a cement wall. He would come in and say that those buggers did it again, hit me in the same spot.

·
Registered
11,172 Posts
I started wondering about this last summer. 2 consecutive visits with my dad he mentioned how rude drivers are getting. Told me several stories of people speeding around him and either honking or giving him the finger. I laughed at first because i remember him talking about my grandma complaining of the same terrible drivers when she began aging. Then he told me the story of a guy passing him on an on ramp to I 75 and flipping him the bird. Second person to give him the finger that day he said. Really made me wonder if things are worse with him than I realize.

·
Registered
26,512 Posts
I started wondering about this last summer. 2 consecutive visits with my dad he mentioned how rude drivers are getting. Told me several stories of people speeding around him and either honking or giving him the finger. I laughed at first because i remember him talking about my grandma complaining of the same terrible drivers when she began aging. Then he told me the story of a guy passing him on an on ramp to I 75 and flipping him the bird. Second person to give him the finger that day he said. Really made me wonder if things are worse with him than I realize.
Sometimes just driving the speed limit will get that response.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts