Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 14 and my friend and I are going to try coyote hunting this winter and i was wondering if it is easier to hunt at night with snow on the ground.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Young trapper I havent hunted them to many times on the ground but the times that I have they were easier to see due to the snow and the gray color of the yotes.

Its pretty fun snaring yotes and foxes too if you can find a couple of good areas.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Hey youngtrapper,
It can be easier to hunt them with snow for one they are easier to see, also they tend to be hungry durring the winter and will come into a distress call. You may want to stay on a stand for about 30+ minutes because it may take them a little longer to get there in the deep snow. Always remember the wind is the most important thing when hunting Coyotes. Coyotes tend to circle in downwind to identify the prey with there nose first, so in my opinion always set up in a cross-wind and hopefully see them before they see you. Snow can be helpful in finding fresh tracks as well.
good luck,
BVW

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Agree with BVW but I tend to stay on stand for an hour or more. Hunt mainly south central part of the state and they seem to take longer sneaking in, possibly due to human population density. Have found that late January thru early March is my best time. Believe it's during their mating cycle and they can make some very poor decisions while looking for a mate.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Young'n, I do all my calling Jan/Feb at night exclusively. I find I have the best luck walking into a stand real quiet. I also don't use a light.If the snow is crunching when you walk I think every varmint in the section knows you're there.I called in 8 within 20 yds last winter at night & didn't hunt real hard because I'd rather run dogs on coons.I only shot at one & got her. My hunting buddies shot at the rest. I'd rather call than shoot anyways.They seem bolder at night -just my observation.I personally never spend more than 25-30 minutes at any one stand-but that's just me.I found certain calls work way better than others that's for sure. I think they get educated to some calls & then will not come into them for awhile. I'm not an expert in this subject I can only tell you what works for me in my area of southern Michigan.PM me & I'll tell you what calls worked for me last winter real well.Good luck!!!:) :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts