Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just recently(September) I signed the official plan for our new CRP contract which involves a diverse plan involving planting trees, interseeding legumes into the WSG, and a pollinator plan which has a host of flowering plants (clover, alphalpha, cone flowers, new england aster,etc...). Started bush hogging/mowing acreage to accomodate 5 different parcels of trees. Well I stopped because I found a farmer who will remove the WSG residue (Which is part of the CRP contract)
to feed cows/horses I guess, anyways he did not want me to do anymore mowing because he wanted to use his machine to cut the stuff so it can be picked up and bailed this was 1 1/2 weeks ago and I told him it need to be out as soon as possible so that I could go in a couple of weeks to spray round up. Well he probably will not be able to get in there until next week 10/7 or 10/8 to cut it. My question for you guys is when will it be too late to go in and spray glyphosphate to kill the vegitation where I will be planting the trees? I am on the Hillsdale/Ohio line (South Central Michigan/Northwest Ohio). Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
35,596 Posts
Glyphosate works on actively growing plants. The faster the plant growth the faster it works. The opposite is also true for this product.

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,319 Posts
Sounds like a legit plan. Just realize that you are going to mainly be killing cool season grasses and winter annual weeds. You won't be killing the noxious annual broad-leafs. You will presumably go back and spray in the spring before the warm season grasses sprout and before or at the time of planting to further get summer annual weeds and cool season grasses that survived.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Sounds like a legit plan. Just realize that you are going to mainly be killing cool season grasses and winter annual weeds.
Correct. Gnu, in Hillsdale County, yellow rocket and chickweed grow vigorously in November, as do many coolseason grasses. Autumn glyphosate applications are very effective for these nuisance plants.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply's Farmlegend, Stephen J. So, what would you do? I want to plant the trees as early as possible in the spring, hopefully at the end of March would be ideal. Would you spray Round Up in the fall or just wait before you planted the trees? My intention to keep ahead of any unwanted growth is to mow on bi weekly schedule for the first 2 years, so the trees do not have any competition. I know this wuill be a lot of work but, I will do what it takes to get the trees established. This leads me to another question, I have read somewhere where guys have used plastic bags around the young seedlings to deter rabbit and deer from browsing. This would be a cheaper alternative than using drainage tile. What are your thoughts on this? Remember I'm talking ~1600 trees/seedlings. Any additional input is appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts