Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not going to start this Thread saying anything negative about Catching and Keeping Female Walleyes. All I want to say is, if you catch a fish over 4 or 5 LBS. and you know its a Female, give it a second thought before throwing it into the Cooler. I completely understand it is totally legal to do so, but just think how many Walleyes with Genetic promiss that will not have a chance to thrive and make for some awsome times in the future. Personally, I dont like eating the big ones, their not the best table fare. But all i wanted to say is Think twice........Not to mention, there is a TON of nice size eaters in the system to Harvest......Peace!!!!

Mushy

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Well put brother!;) The big girls never make it to the bucket in my boat. If she's big enough she might even get a little kiss before she goes back.:D

·
Registered
602 Posts
MUSHY1 said:
Im not going to start this Thread saying anything negative about Catching and Keeping Female Walleyes. All I want to say is, if you catch a fish over 4 or 5 LBS. and you know its a Female, give it a second thought before throwing it into the Cooler. I completely understand it is totally legal to do so, but just think how many Walleyes with Genetic promiss that will not have a chance to thrive and make for some awsome times in the future. Personally, I dont like eating the big ones, their not the best table fare. But all i wanted to say is Think twice........Not to mention, there is a TON of nice size eaters in the system to Harvest......Peace!!!!

Mushy
just like the one on your wall??:yikes:

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I never really understood letting the big females go. I guess I don't understand it completely. You need both a male and a female to mate (last I checked) so if you keep taking one fish out of the equation, won't that be just bad if not worse for the population? Or is it that there are more males than females? I do understand that a larger fish is going to produce more eggs, but that said, wouldn't it be better to keep one big female than 5 "eaters"?

Personally, if I catch fish, I'm going to keep them. I never take over my limit and probably don't take over 50 fish over the season. I've never tasted a difference in a younger fish vs. an older fish. I'll never hold it against a person for taking a fish as long as it is legal and the fish gets used. Maybe someone can convince me why to release the big females????

·
Super Moderator
27,436 Posts
I only keep those smaller than 20". Anything larger 20" is too much waste and just doesn't taste as well as smaller ones. The prime females for breeding stock are those in the 20-30" bracket.

Personnally if I got a 30"er or bigger, take measurements and get a repo done of it. You can't tell the differance.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
One male can produce enough sperm to fertilize millions of eggs. One female can only produce a fraction of that number of eggs.. Males to females...you do the math. Big breeding females should be released promptly.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Personally, I don't keep anyting over about 4 pounds, but I wouldn't be too concerned about keeping fish of any size if you need to eat. Results of the catch-and-release mortality rate on tournament walleyes are not impressive, especially for fish that have been in the box for a long time.

Until tournaments find a way to release fish without wearing 'em down in a fish box, anglers shoudn't feel any guilt about keeping any legal fish they catch that fall within legal guidelines. This includes all tournament species.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the contrary S.S., it is not a one for one ratio male/female in order to fertilize eggs to reproduce. It in fact takes several males to fertilize successfully, all of the eggs of a female, since she will sometimes spread here clutch over a small but broad area. Think how stacked the walts are on the bottom...do you think they pair up one for one to get this multi-billion fingerling explosion that we see here in the Detroit?
So far 85% of the fish we have landed thus far have been males (my buddies boat has been in the water almost every day for the last 3 weeks). Any obvious females were released. And the thought is, take another 20 minutes...enjoy your fishing and wait until you get the next fish...which will most likely be a 1-2lb. male and you finally filled you bag limit!
All Im saying is give it the thought when you are beating them up this spring. The future walleye populations are being laid by these fish we catch today.

Mushy

·
Registered
602 Posts
castmaster5000 what the hek happened to that beutiful sighnatur!!

Nice, Looks simular to the one i have on the wall. Big Fat Female, they make the best Mounts....Mine was 11-4.....nice job...

Mushy 'quote un quote'

hipo something cant spell

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
In my boat......

If I catch a Big Girl (over 24") it gets to swim again. Unless she is really, really big-say over 12 lbs-then she goes on the wall (that would be a personal best!). Otherwise, she gets a picture taken and a kiss goodbye. (I have yet to put one on the wall).

If one of the kids catch a fish, if it is a legal size-it is up to them to keep. Over 24" I encourage them to take a picture, but I leave it up to them. The kids have pretty much gotten on board that the over 24"s are not as good to eat and they do get tossed back, but-it is up to them.

That being said-to each his own and as long as it it legal, more power to ya and good luck!

Jim

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Makes sense...does anybody have any links to this info, perhaps a study done at some point? I'm not doubting anyone, I would just like to learn more about it.

Am I the only one who doesn't notice a difference between a big and a small walleye in taste? I would love to do a blind taste test and see what people thought...

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Yeah, we let 2 6lbers go last time. We were suprised when 6 of the 7 fish we kept were actually females, thought they were just fat males, they were 3-4lbs. Usually we don't keep fish over 20, but, we did last time because all the fish we caught were over 20, and i think that is how it's going to be this year. Just ate them, they were just awesome, usually the bigger ones taste a little fishy, but, these didn't. Even if i got a bigger one, over 10lb, i would let her go, can't afford a mount anyways, maybe a replica.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Ohio had a study and it said that the females of the 16 to 22 inch produced more young than the older big ones, eggs from the smaller females were more likely to hatch.

·
Registered
602 Posts
steve ypsi said:
Ohio had a study and it said that the females of the 16 to 22 inch produced more young than the older big ones, eggs from the smaller females were more likely to hatch.
I read that study thank you steve!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lets see.... Trip from north of Flint...$40.00 . Boat Gas $10.00, Fishing license$26, Boat pymt. $150.00 A MONTH! Insurance, poles, bait, Lost days work...lol. The list goes on and on. Believe me, I am not complaining because I love it and will keep spending, BUT....In my 5 trips down to Detroit I dont think I am gonna hurt the population any. By the way I do let the Big females go, but people can do what they want within the rules. Maybe the river should be closed fom March to May then we could have millions of walleye but would catch few. I have to work too many days to make it these days so this is my time to get a little fillets in the freezer.

I got 4 today before the wind went nuts and the largest was 21. 1 20 incher was a female and completely out of eggs. Good luck to all of you and just use common sense with these fish and we will all be fishing them for years to come...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Milldoo....That was funny and point was well taken!!!!

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
This topic came up once before and an Ohio fish biologist stated that sportfishing in Lake Erie and connecting waters has almost zero effect on the fishing.

While releasing walleye in some inland lakes might have some impact, keeping all big females has no effect of walleye populations in said waters.

I think the smaller ones taste better, but that's the only reason I toss the big ones back. If you are doing it to help the fishery, con't because it doesn't or so the experts say.

Besides that's what limits are for. Now commercial fishing is another story.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with Walleye Mike on this one...

WALLEYE MIKE said:
I only keep those smaller than 20". Anything larger 20" is too much waste and just doesn't taste as well as smaller ones. The prime females for breeding stock are those in the 20-30" bracket.
However, I DISAGREE with the this statement... If you get the right guy to do the repro, it will look BETTER, and last LONGER.

WALLEYE MIKE said:
Personnally if I got a 30"er or bigger, take measurements and get a repo done of it. You can't tell the differance.
If you forget the fact that you should let the larger females go because it is the right thing to do for the resource, and strictly look at it from a selfish perspective of wanting to put something on the wall, why wouldn't you get a reproduction???

I have one skin mount (pike from 10 years ago) and 3 reproductions (2 muskie and one walleye comming), and I genuinely belive the repros look much better.

I held a 31 inch walleye by the tail in 2005 that weighed well over 11 pounds. My initial reaction was to keep the fish... I think this was my initial thought, beacause that what most of us have been conditioned to think... We have to get away from this wasteful mindset... But, then I actually started thinking and quickly remebered how much happier I was with the repros I had done and had seen in the past. They not only look better today, but they will look just the same in 30 years. You can't say that about any skin mount.

Put your ego aside, let the big girls go and get a good reproduction. I personally believe the the fish over about 22/23 inches atrat to have a stronger taste. Frankly, I think they tend to taste like sand or dirt.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts