Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love fishing cats, but I have never tried it in the spring, although I hear that is when they are spawning and bite the best. I am eagerly anticipating the 1st spring trip, but I have a problem. I dont know when that is. When can I first start fishing cats? And when is the peak of the season. If anyone out there can help me w/ this, please do. Thanks alot everyone!

·
Super Moderator
37,669 Posts
I have done very well on channel cats in early spring, especially when tring to catch walleye on minnows and crawlers. I have caught them regularly into late June still full of roe, I am not sure when they spawn, but I doubt it is in the spring.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't fish there in the spring, but in July/August around Little Charity Island on Saginaw Bay out of Au Gres, many times you can't keep the catfish off lines.

We were joking while prefishing for a walleye tournament last year that you had to hit the right ratio...3 cats:2 sheephead:1 walleye. Didn't matter whether we were pulling harnesses or cranks.

If a guy was actually targeting cats, it honestly wouldn't surprise me to end up with 200+ lbs per day. There are LOTS of cats out there. The Great Lakes, and Saginaw Bay specifically, may be a well kept catfish secret.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
We would like to welcome Lipton Tea to the many
sponsors of our May 22, 2004 Catfish Tournament in
Rockwood Michigan. Lipton will be sponsoring by
donating $500 cash. Further details to follow.

Duracraft will have their new 20' Catmaster boat on
display prior to the tournament. The boat will be
given away in a drawing of tournament anglers names.

Total available cash and prizes is now expected at
$125,000.00. We expect a huge turn-out and the
available purse to grow to well over $150,000.00,
including the tagged fish.

For more info and entry information go to:

www.catfishtournament.com

Boats are started in the order that entries are
received.

Hope to see you there.

Don

Monroe, MI

1 - 5 of 5 Posts