Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Wheatley

2K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  rayed 
#1 ·
The wait is over,someone turned the light switch,perch,walleye,and some bows have popped up from the blue waters of the Erie sea.couple captains on the other side have informed me that the waters are full of fish.The bows are there but still need some more time to get going good.other than that the eyes and the perch are loading up and the bows are coming in for lunch.

#12 ·
Minnows are the problem, bomans out, Als was out too first time I've heard of them being out.
My buddy ended up with 75 yesterday by the park.
Yep, bait stores are far and few between over there. Bowmans feed will be lined up 1/2 mile and sold out in an hour on weekends when the bite is on.
If that fishery was on US soil, imagine how many bait shops would be set up? Be a frickin zoo...

#14 ·
Minnows are the problem, bomans out, Als was out too first time I've heard of them being out.
My buddy ended up with 75 yesterday by the park.
The perch there hit fresh dead shiners as fast as live ones. You can get your minnows in the US the day before you go over, put them on ice overnight then they are legal to take over.

Another thing that works well and is cheaper is pieces of shrimp. I've even microwaved the shrimp enough to to get them a little firm.

Alot of the locals there use preserved minnows. The local way is to put the minnows in a mixture of pickling salt and uncooked rice, then store in a styrofoam container. Another way of preserving is to freeze them in brine (heavily salted water).

#15 ·
We've tried freezing em before... they work pretty well till they thaw out!

Going to try the rice and salt next time.... used just salt before and had less than impressive results. Always a PIA dealing with that over there.

Depending on ur timing you can stop in windsor at strictley fishing or wallys.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#18 ·
Slim and I will be heading out sat morning chasing some bows/eyes. Weather is calling for 5 to 10 out of south shifting to west. We usually have the radio scanning around 68 if you feel like giving us a shout

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#19 ·
Jay we are heading over tonight , going to stop in windsor and pick up minnows on the way. Pm me or call me 248-640-2184 and I can pick up extra. I usually just bring some extra 1gallon zip lock bags and have the minnows put in them with no water and keep them on ice and they last for the couple days we are over there. I will be on 68 also Flip a Coin is my boat name.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.