Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who's gonna be out there tomorrow? We really want to go, but I'm not liking the wind/wave forecast. Looking like 2-4 footers. What's everyone's plans?

Thanks,

MDH

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I was planning on going, however, I have to skip this weekend now. Strong NE winds today will get the lake rolling pretty good. It is supposed to get lighter Saturday later in the morning, however, with the rollers from the night before, it may take a while to lay down. If I was going to go, I think tomorrow afternoon would be better.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the reply as always shady. I always like hearing from guys that know wheatley more than I. Still learning for sure!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Want to hit Wheatley one day this weekend. Trying to determine which day is best based on the forecast. Looks like the wind will be out of the southwest on Sunday. I would rather go Saturday due to family commitments. If you had to pick a day which one would you pick

·
Registered
11,852 Posts
sunday.... but even thats sketchy.

.THIS AFTERNOON...NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 25 KNOTS. A CHANCE OF
SHOWERS. WAVES 5 TO 7 FEET SUBSIDING TO 4 TO 6 FEET.
.TONIGHT...NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS DIMINISHING TO 5 TO
15 KNOTS. WAVES 3 TO 5 FEET.
.SATURDAY...NORTHEAST WINDS 10 KNOTS OR LESS BECOMING EAST. WAVES
2 TO 4 FEET SUBSIDING TO 1 TO 3 FEET.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 KNOTS OR LESS BECOMING SOUTH
5 TO 15 KNOTS. WAVES 2 FEET OR LESS.
.SUNDAY...SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTH 10 TO
20 KNOTS. WAVES 2 FEET OR LESS.
.MONDAY...SOUTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS BECOMING WEST 5 TO
15 KNOTS. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. WAVES 1 TO
3 FEET

·
Registered
129 Posts
thanks for the info salmonslammer. What site are you pulling data from? I trying to find a good marine forecast for the area similar to what's available in the U.S.

I may only be able to go on Saturday and am considering just leaving late morning and fishing the afternoon

·
Registered
75 Posts
thanks for the info salmonslammer. What site are you pulling data from? I trying to find a good marine forecast for the area similar to what's available in the U.S.

I may only be able to go on Saturday and am considering just leaving late morning and fishing the afternoon
Windfinder.com is a good site for Point Pelee Ontario or Sailflow.com for Erieau Ontario

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
.SUNDAY...SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTH 10 TO
20 KNOTS. WAVES 2 FEET OR LESS.
Don't you love it....S 10-20 Knots, waves 2 feet or less.....yeah right!....they forgot to include the rest of that sentence.....it was supposed to say..."WAVES 2 FEET OR LESS IN THE HARBOR".... :)

Try waves 3-5 feet with a 10-20 knot wind from the S.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Sound good to me. I will be going early as usual.

TONIGHT...NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS DIMINISHING TO 5 TO
15 KNOTS. WAVES 3 TO 5 FEET.
.SATURDAY...NORTHEAST WINDS 10 KNOTS OR LESS BECOMING EAST. WAVES 2 TO 4 FEET SUBSIDING TO 1 TO 3 FEET

·
Registered
129 Posts
Count me in for Saturday morning...planning to leave a little later than usual...hopefully I'll get there just in time for the 'light wind' expected mid-day.

Red 18' Lund Impact.

Last weekend we caught our fish in 60-62 FOW about a 120 degree heading...heard other people catching theim in the low 50's as well. Will probably start in the same spot and move east if we don't find them

·
Registered
560 Posts
So who's gonna be out there tomorrow? We really want to go, but I'm not liking the wind/wave forecast. Looking like 2-4 footers. What's everyone's plans?

Thanks,

MDH

The weather bouy at Port Stanley
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45132
had wave height of about 6 ft this morning and 2.6 ft now (7 pm). I went down to the harbor at 10 this morning and again at 7 this evening. The waves I saw there looked to be about the same as the Port Stanley data.

While I was at the harbor some guys went out in about a 22 ft aluminum boat with cabin. I watched them for about 10 minutes after they cleared the harbor and it looked like they were about 3 miles out so I would guess they were able to quarter the waves at 10 - 15 mph.

Sailflow’s Erieau forecast
http://www.sailflow.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=232&siteID=1865&Isection=Forecast+Graphs
is calling for 1 knot at 7 am and 6 knots at 1 pm

I plan to check the weather tomorrow morning and expect to be able to go fishing. As always, I’ll be on channel 68 or channel 6

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I hate having to rely so much on the weather. I know this weekend is probably the last chance we have this year at getting over to chase the steel. Gonna probably be a 4:00 am decision. How often does noaa update their forecast? Last one I'm seeing for open water is 3:39 pm.

·
Registered
11,852 Posts
I hate having to rely so much on the weather. I know this weekend is probably the last chance we have this year at getting over to chase the steel. Gonna probably be a 4:00 am decision. How often does noaa update their forecast?

They will do another update between 3 and 4am...(most days anyways). We always check the bouy info when making a last minute call.

Still got another 4 to 6 weeks to chase the bullets... as long as we don't get a cold snap.

·
Registered
11,852 Posts
Looks like lake erie is updated about 10pm....

Looking slightly better with the last run. I just drove home from work and the flags weren't moving.....

.OVERNIGHT...NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS DIMINISHING TO
5 TO 15 KNOTS. WAVES 3 TO 5 FEET SUBSIDING TO 2 TO 4 FEET.
.SATURDAY...NORTHEAST WINDS 10 KNOTS OR LESS BECOMING EAST. WAVES
1 TO 3 FEET.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...EAST WINDS 10 KNOTS OR LESS BECOMING SOUTH 5 TO
15 KNOTS. WAVES 2 FEET OR LESS.
.SUNDAY...SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHWEST 10 KNOTS
OR LESS. WAVES 2 FEET OR LESS.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 15 KNOTS INCREASING TO 10 TO
20 KNOTS. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IN THE EVENING.
WAVES 1 TO 3 FEET BUILDING TO 2 TO 4 FEET.
.MONDAY...SOUTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS BECOMING WEST 5 TO
15 KNOTS. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON.
WAVES 2 TO 4 FEET.
.TUESDAY...NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING NORTHEAST
10 KNOTS OR LESS. WAVES 2 TO 4 FEET.
.WEDNESDAY...EAST WINDS 10 KNOTS OR LESS BECOMING SOUTH 5 TO
15 KNOTS. WAVES 3 TO 5 FEET SUBSIDING TO 2 TO 4 FEET.
WINDS AND WAVES HIGHER IN AND NEAR THUNDERSTORMS.
$$

Hope to get over midweek for a couple days...
Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We're gonna give it a go!

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ended up getting out no.problem. Leftover rollers were no biggie. Ended up w 6 eyes, biggest was 7 lbs. Will report more later with a few pics. No bows. :( Still a good day!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts