Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few shots from our two days at Wheatley. We were privileged to have as our guests the owners of Offshore Tackle Co. who not only were great fishermen and wonderful people, they also allowed us to test a few of their up-and-coming new products before they hit the shelves over the next few months! The new mini planer boards worked fabulous...even on half core with 3-4 foot waves!

This is a shot of us in the middle of filming an episode of Fishing 411. One of our multiple double headers for the day. Once we even had 4 fish going at one time...and only 3 guys to man the rods because I wasn't gonna stop filming! What a tough position to be in!

After our fist hour and a half, yesterday, we decided we'd better start keeping track of a fish count! During our "tape change" break Mark decided to find out exactly how many fish we had in the boat already. Good thing he did...we were only a few short our limit and it wasn't even ten o'clock yet!

By the time noon did roll around, the show was complete and the limit was filled. That meant that today was "fish for fun" day! The camera guy even got to participate! (I'm not sure if it was planned, but I seemed to get the nod, only when the full core went off!:16suspect HMMMMMM!) Here's one of the fish from this morning!

Another fabulous trip to Ontario is in the books. How you beat this I haven't a clue! We're heading over to Muskegon next week to try our hand at salmon fishing. If you see our flame covered boat, give us a smile and a wave!

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Nice!!!!.....Mack

·
Registered
509 Posts
What a sweet trip.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
sweet you got to love it over there and there is nothing wrong with lead core I love it because it catches a ton of fish, I like dipsey's better tho;)..Cya Slick

·
Registered
956 Posts
No pictures of bruce whats going on.Someone told me he was out of town for the summer.Anyways how do the boards hold up with a half core they dont flip when you get a fish on.How did you run the boards do they slide down when you hook a fish?I love the big ones wondering how they would work side by side with the big boards.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No pictures of bruce whats going on.
Bruce was the one fighting the fish on the left of the first picture. Here's another one though. He's a fabulous guy both in and out of the boat!

Someone told me he was out of town for the summer.
We got Bruce for two days in between his trip to Sweeden and his trip to Alaska (or someplace like that). He hasn't been home more than like 3 days in the past 2 months!

Anyways how do the boards hold up with a half core they dont flip when you get a fish on.
The new mini boards ran fabulous with the halfcore. We were actually surprised by how high in the water they still ran, despite the weight of the half core as well as the 3-4 foot waves we were in. They stayed out and above the water. When a fish hit, the board droppped back just like the regular board, but with much more action. Big fish would sometimes "swamp" the board on its way back, but it would always pop right back up and is much easier to lift out of the water and keep it out when you are fighting a fish. I brought home 4 minis to test in the river for Salmon as well.

How did you run the boards do they slide down when you hook a fish?.
We ran the boards two different ways. The first time we slid the spring back away from the snap so it would work as an easy release. With the line also threaded through a swivel snap on the end, we could release the board down, almost all the way to the fish, to a bead just before our flourocarbon leader. That worked fine and is how I'll fish this board when I'm trying it in the river.

I personally prefered tightening the spring however (moving it toward the snap) and letting the guys in the boat take it off just as if it were the regular sized board. The only difference was that this mini board is so much easier to lift and keep out of the water than the bigger boards. And their is no doubt when a fish hits...no "dragging little ones" with the new mini board!

I love the big ones wondering how they would work side by side with the big boards.
Again, they worked flawlessly. We were running them side-by-side with the regular boards, and no problem. I think we even started prefering the little boards because of their convenience (ability to reel them in), their size (ability to store them anywhere...even in your pocket), and their flexability (no more havng to decide is this a left side board or right side board).

·
Registered
956 Posts
Ok im sold,Where is Frank when you need him.Someone has Franks number i want to order me six of these boards for next weekend?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts