Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Hi Guys,

A couple questions please on this fishery....

-How far out of Wheatley do you typically have to run to get into the fish?
-Do you need down riggers-or are dipsys or in lines just fine?

I have a Lund Rebel 165. It is a very capable boat, but getting beat up running way out is more than these old bones can take.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The distance you need to run depends on the time of year. Early in the season, you can usually find fish 5-8 miles out. As the water warms later in the season, that distance can double.

Dipsies and riggers both work fine. I've never felt the need to run in-lines.

·
Premium Member
7,229 Posts
Hi Guys,

A couple questions please on this fishery....

-How far out of Wheatley do you typically have to run to get into the fish?
-Do you need down riggers-or are dipsys or in lines just fine?

I have a Lund Rebel 165. It is a very capable boat, but getting beat up running way out is more than these old bones can take.
Easily done in your boat , best thing to do is go on a north wind or light wind and you’ll be fine . Dipsys work well or lead or riggers some days snap weights is all ya need.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know it's early but have a hankerin for some silver! Anyone hear anything or am I just wishfully day dreaming?

Marty
From what I have noticed the Wheatley Port Authority web site has been removed. Cannot find any info. This is not good at all. They would give daily fishing and weather reports. It was of great use for a fisherman traveling a couple hours to get there. Without this site, its pretty hard to guess what's going on. If there is a new site that someone knows about, I would very much appreciate if you can post it.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Getting across the bridge is tough. I was stuck for over an hour a couple weeks ago. Not fun
That sucks. That is what I am most concerned about. Every time I go under the bridge or see it from a distance, it has trucks lined up along the whole length of it. I am wondering if maybe the tunnel would be better. Especially in the afternoon coming back. Getting there really early via the bridge may not be that bad, but coming come that way might be a nightmare. I look forward to having the new bridge done, but that is still a ways off.

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
That sucks. That is what I am most concerned about. Every time I go under the bridge or see it from a distance, it has trucks lined up along the whole length of it. I am wondering if maybe the tunnel would be better. Especially in the afternoon coming back. Getting there really early via the bridge may not be that bad, but coming come that way might be a nightmare. I look forward to having the new bridge done, but that is still a ways off.
Not positive but can you take a boat thru the tunnel. Thought it was vehicles only.

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Have taken my boat through the tunnel many times. And my Baron was not a small boat. Just need to go through truck lane for reporting when entering the US side (far right lane).

Marty
I have taken my boat through the Nexis lane at the tunnel in the past. Hard to get to it, but once I was up there, I breezed right through. I am hoping that with the new bridge, they will have it so that we can get to the Nexis lane without having to wait with everyone else for most of the time. At the AMB bridge, 3/4 of the time, the people working there have no idea what the rules are. They have tried to tell me many times that I couldn't take a boat through the Nexis lane, but that is incorrect. I checked that before I even paid for it. If the traffic wasn't bad I wouldn't fight them on it, I would just go to the regular lanes and deal with it. However, if the traffic was bad and the Nexis lanes were open, I would force the issue. I would tell them to have their supervisor meet me at the customs booth and we could discuss it there. They would get on their walkie-talkie and eventually wave me through.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts