Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Way to lead off Wallis!! Congratulations!!
Hope you enjoyed your trip to Colorado Buck!!! Any luck out there?

Sounds like everyone is getting their fix in already. I'm still on the bench for a couple weeks unfortunately. Not gonna be sent in til the fourth quarter.

Good luck in the morning Yankee!!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Air was thick enough to cut with a knife. Heard 3 courtesy gobbles to let us know they were still alive. Highlight was on the walk out - hearing, spotting and then watching a woodpecker try to kill himself calling and beating on a dead branch. Poor guy was obviously lonely, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
831 Posts
Anyone out?

I went to a Plan B spot and was not hoping for much, saving the better places for the kid. He’s been a bit swamped with school but hopefully we can get out tomorrow.

Beautiful sunrise. Only 2 distant gobbles, nothing within a 1/2 mile.

Heard and saw more geese and cranes this morning than I thought possible for May.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Went in blind on sat hoping they were roosted on the ridge 50-75 yds away..started getting light and realized I had at least 13 birds roosted within 30 yds...damn didn't want them that close!
Couldn't really move so never touched a call until after flydown.
Heard 3 toms gobbling on roost couple hundred yds away and alot of tree yelps.
The big tom roosted by me was silent but fanning 9n the roost..hens and jakes flew down close all around me and I was surrounded by birds and pinned down really'big tom flew down off my right shoulder landed about 50 yds away and strutted back and forth on creek bank.couldnt fully turn toward him still he came a little closer before he walked off silent with 2 hens in tow...
Finally was able to call a little bit with not 1 gobble on the ground and he was gone over the ridge.
Had a group of jakes teasing me in range and another tom at 30 yds strutting and fanning no gobbles.he had a full fan but short little beard so I passed him..
Sat til 11:30 called 2 hens in around 10 but that was it for that hunt.

·
Registered
831 Posts
This heat outright stinks. They were, however, gobbling decent yesterday morning. The dominant bird wouldn’t come closer than 60 and opted to follow the hen that walked between me and him (little bi$&h). Haha

They went to strut in a neighbors field that I also have permission to hunt, so maybe I’ll sleep in tomorrow morning and set up there.

Anyone else been out in this heat?

FYI - the ticks and skeeters literally exploded around me over the weekend. Picked 20+ ticks off my beagle last night after taking her for a walk down my road. Grass was only 6” high…

·
Registered
95 Posts
I really thought this was a spring turkey season and not a dinner one. Can't wait to be out there looking similar to Yankees beagle. Sounds like you boys are getting right in the ball park. Wait for your pitch and send it home.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Could have taken a 2yr old this morning and passed, I’m 95% sure it’s the same one my son shot at the second day of the season.

He came in with 2 jakes - the Tom was jittery and stayed out at 25-30 yards; had the youngsters at 5 steps, I was tempted to dive at the closest just for the helluva it.

It was a beautiful morning, brought home a nice sized collection of ramps to sauté. Just need some shrooms to match.

·
Premium Member
31,519 Posts
SNOODS are THE team to beat! 😎

41 - 60 of 103 Posts