Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
I can play leader this year. I currently have the Covid crud so I’m probably not going out until the first week of May.

I hunt with my son and wife on private lands mainly in KZoo and Allegan counties. My son and I have the ZZ tag, I think my wife is going to go with the ZF and hunt the first week of June. Usually get 2-3 toms every year, and I usually don’t get serious and tag a bird until sometime after May 20th.

Name is Chris and I’m a faculty member at the local med school.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
853 Posts
Anyone headed out this weekend?

I’ve had the crud and was going to skip it, but felt tons better yesterday afternoon so went out to listen this morning.

Three properties, 2 were deserts, but found at least 3 jokers gobbling their brains out on the third.

Looks like I’m guiding the kid tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Glad you are making the turn. It really helped me recover when I got out and did some "in season" scouting for deer, when I had it.

I'll be riding the pine until the 4th quarter unfortunately. Hoping my scouting last month pays off and there's still a few of the birds I located that remain in the areas. Otherwise have gained permission on a few pieces of private with abundant turkeys but I found out last year, even that's not a guaranteed bird.

Good luck striking the iron while it's hot with the kid!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Heard about 100 gobbles on the limb this morning. Called in the entire flock with a few nice adult toms.

Kid came home with an empty shell casing, the clean miss was served with a big helping of humble pie.

I told him I used almost an entire box of shells a few years ago and never even got a feather. Still got 6 weeks.

Hens never made a single peep. I suspect much of the breeding is done around me and the ladies are just laying now.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Anyone been out?

I had an early lecture this morning but made it out to listen. Birds were lighting it up around 6am on the limb where my son missed on Sunday, prolly heard almost 50 gobbles from 4-5 birds in 5 mins.

Also heard a few gobbles on a property that was silent last week.

I’m headed out for a solo hunt in the morning, either to back up spot A or B. Still saving those knucklehead birds for my son, will try with him on Saturday.

I can’t start hunting my honeyhole piece until after Mothers Day, so I’m trying to limit my hunts while I recover from the C19 crud.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I went to my Plan C yesterday and only heard 1 on the roost. I woke up this morning to rain and went back to bed. Just starting to feel better and decided sleep was better than cold and wet.

I have days off next week and it looks like perfect weather.

Good luck to anyone headed out tomorrow.

21 - 40 of 110 Posts