Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Im in Houghton county, U.P. I wont make it out on the opener this year :(
Birds are probably in big winter groups up there still?
This past week ive seen groups splitting up,toms strutting and lone midday hens...should be right on schedule

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Realized i was out of turkey loads always shot remington nitro 5s.
Well with the way things are now finding ammo is tough and remingtons bankruptcy isnt helping.
I just bought some winchester long beard 3.5" #5s..hope they shoot good

·
Registered
490 Posts
That was me the year before missed 3 toms and was skunked forth season...ended a 12 year streak of tagging a bird:mad:.i
I added a red dot last yr

.gonna run it against this yr but not positive i like it.
Still took a 2nd shot to get my bird last yr..
My eyes are changing i think lol

I've got mine set up with the fiber optic sites that came with it - for now. I ordered a new Vortex venom and have it in hand if the sites are too blurry. Buck - I hear you about the eyes.

FWIW - I'm just shy of 50 and my vision went from 15/20 and 10/20 to 'crap' almost overnight last year. Luckily my long-distance vision is still fine, on the other hand using sites on a turkey gun requires vision somewhere between reading and long-distance - so I won't figure out my final setup until I shoot this weekend...

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Turkey #ers seem low at my hunting properties but some longbeards around.
Set my blind out at my opening day starting spot.
Shot my shotgun with the winchester longbeard xr's and a slight scope adjustment was needed..
Awesome patterns at 30yds and 45 yds..tighter patterns by far compared to the remington nitros i usually shoot

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've been using the Longbeard XR for years. I was using it in 6 shot, grabbed some 5 by mistake, and now use 5 because it actually patterns better. The longest shot with it was misjudged but knocked one stiff with the #5 at 67 steps. Counting that bird, my Ithaca has taken 3 nice birds at 50 steps or longer with that ammo...

Buck - just remember how tight those patterns are - if they get inside 20 yards you're going to be shooting a golfball-sized pattern at their head, so make sure they're still when you touch it off...

·
Registered
490 Posts
A few observations after my 3rd day of scouting:

1) increased hunting pressure from last Spring didn’t have a major effect on bird numbers in my area
2) traditional roost sites are again holding mature gobblers
3) those mature gobblers have acquired their harem as evidenced by hearing chatty hens answer their gobbles
4) satellite toms are really moving around right now.
5) gobbling has started early and ended early - starting around 6:22-6:24 with those traditional roost birds shut up by 6:45 this morning (sunrise was ~7:02 today).
6) one satellite Tom was gobbling his brains out trying to attract a hen and hammering until at least 7:05 this morning (when I left), telling me he wants my son to shoot his beak off on Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My ex father in law just texted me said a group of birds came out of the woods right next to my blind! Hopefully they follow the same script sat

21 - 33 of 33 Posts