Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is you favorite style ice jig?? What color?? Beads or no beads?? Just trying to get ideas for making jigs.

Personally, it's a willow leaf blade, small, chartreuse w/red and black eyes for gills and crappie. For perch, its a larger willow leaf(nickel) w/ 3mm red bead.

ficious

·
Registered
206 Posts
Genz Worm
Chartruese Glow

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
I like hali (sp?) jigs and sweedish pimples for perch.

ficious, any pics. I've tied some wax worm flies that I think would be good for the gills, with a real wax worm added...

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Anything that glows in the dark and has wings or swims in circles.

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got done making a bunch of panfish figs, this should get me through the winter. Pictures in my gallery. Going to start on some walleye/brown jigs next.

ficious

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
For Sagnasty river walleye my favorite is the Erie style jig. The ones in two tone color(flo green/orange) are my favorite, attach a stinger hook and hang on! This jig at times seems to produce when all else fails on the river. Right Slammer00!;) !!! The helocopper style jig by northland also seems to grab walleye's attention on the Sagnasty during murky water times. For the Saganasty bay (perch) I like little bright red or orange jigs. Of course the Russian style (Jacks, Ken's, Rick's Leroy's, Willis's:eek: )hooks are always on 1 rod with a light fluttering motion.

If you are making any extra jig's I wouldnt mind taking some perch/panfish jigs off your hands. Let me know!

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Holly cow Ficious, I was going to ask you where you been all summer long. Now I know. lol . Looks like you did a great job on those Jigs. Did you hand paint or spray paint?

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ed,

They are all hand painted, fish don't seem to mind the flaws. It's very time consuming, but I love to experiment. Have high hopes for this years crops, as well as my "old faithfuls". Just add ice, actually, they work great all year.

ficious

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
ficious
Are the jigs pre-made or did you put them together? I attempted to make some but didn't have much luck sodering (spelling?) the hooks to the spoons.

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ed,

I make them myself, you can experiment more that way. Have a few(not shown) that I can't wait to try, COME ON ICE!!

ficious

·
Registered
452 Posts
your all getting me excited, I can't wait.

As for me any micro, purple with gold, or green with orange dots. Suspended 3 inches below a swedish pimple that has the hook removed and a dropper line added.

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just made a bunch of pink/purple on pearl white. Red on chartreuse turned out well too. "If it ain't chartruese, it ain't no use", works for me. Can't wait til the perchies come out of the lake to the canals just before ice up. mmmmmm.....perch

ficious

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Personally, it's a willow leaf blade, small, chartreuse w/red and black eyes for gills and crappie. For perch, its a larger willow leaf(nickel) w/ 3mm red bead.
I second that Harry! Your Jigs are KILLER! Never caught so many fish Ice fishing until I got them jigs of yours...

Here are the pics so you don't have to go to the gallery!

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks N_O. That crappie still haunting you dreams??? There are a couple of other spots that fish like that are possible, we'll have to give them a try this winter. That chartruese is the first and usually only jig on my #1 jigging rod. Those light springs really help too. Started helping MOHAWK make a shanty like mine, he's hooked too.

ficious

1 - 20 of 21 Posts