Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WANT TO START TYING TO FILL UP MY STEELHEAD FLY BOX AND WAS WONDERING IF EVERYONE CAN LIST THEIR FAVORITE STEELHEAD FLIES SO I CAN START TYING DIFFERENT PATTERNS. THANK YOU!>>>>>DON

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Hi Don,

You bring the yarn eggs, and I'll bring the venison. Sounds like the makings of a good day on the river to me.:)

Mike

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
I could tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya. ;)

I've let you peak into my flybox before. This time of year, think blue. Eggs, eggs, eggs.....

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
For the spring I've done really well on latex wigglers and almost any one of a handful of black stone patterns. Half the time I think they take the latex wiggler thinking its a cased caddis larva.

steve

·
Registered
748 Posts
My personal favorite is a very large black stonefly!

Toddfather

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Pink and white bodied streamers
orange edge glow stoneflies
and green caddises

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Ditto TODDFATHER. Big ugly black stoneflies have always gotten it done for me in the spring. Dark collored ESL's work pretty well for me at that time too. In the fall, while salmon fishing I've had Steelies hit mostly egg flies, but I haven't spent alot of time targetting them in the fall/winter. Good luck.

Al

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Come on guys;) ;) No need to talk about steelhead already;) everyone knows they don't run till april;) ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 3 favs.

1) cherise and red glow egg, on a # 10 hook
2) orange and white glow egg, these work very well late in the spring and fall
3) red egg sucking bugger with a small black body

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
.......... only because thats all I know how to tie right now!

1) Spring's Wiggler, in lots of color combinations.
2) Glow & Nuke eggs.
3) Egg Sucking Leach.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hands down in the spring time it would be a Stonefly.
That's what got me into tying flys,No one sold them unless i went to cabelas to get them or pay up to $2 bucks a piece at the bait shop.i went through 7 last spring in under a hr,having them break my 6lb test on the Huron.
By Spring i'll have a fly box full of stoneflys and some.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts