Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please everyone tell me your secrets. I need to know what you guy's are wearing out there during these frigid michigan winters. I've ALWAYS had a problem keeping warm. It's so terrible I'm already thinking about it and it's only july. Haha. I don't really have the luxury of getting inside of a box blind with a heater. Every now and again I can get into a pop up with a buddy heater which makes it decent. But i still need something that can keep me warm with no heater at all! Long story short TELL ME!!! BEST COLD WEATHER GEAR YOU KNOW OF!!
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
First lite sanctuary set. Wore it into teens and single digits last year with mid weight layers and stayed toasty. It was incredible. Pricey but worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
Heater body suit. While I don't own one yet, I will. Other then that I wear base layers like polypropylene ,then a wool vest, then heavy wool coat and bibs. With a neck gator and wool hat. I put adhesive hot hands by my kidneys and back of my neck. I wear Lacrosse Ice King boots with two pair of socks. One is cotton the other is wool. The reason I want the Heater body suit is I tend to hunt a good ways of the beaten path and will over heat wearing all that wool. I will be able to wear just a light weight outfit and carry the HBS without sweating to death.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
First Lite, including their wool base layers. I pack in the outer layers so I don't sweat, then dress upon arrival to stand. There's been times I was there an hour or more before putting my outer coat on.

When it's really cold I wear a velcro back brace and stuff hand warmers in it over my kidneys too. Works fantastic.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
First lite sanctuary set. Wore it into teens and single digits last year with mid weight layers and stayed toasty. It was incredible. Pricey but worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best on the planet. Throw a Sawtooth Vest on underneath and you're good to go. Wool is where it's at IMHO.

·
Registered
39,755 Posts
Northern Outfitters Vaetrex base layer, mitts and boots. It’s arctic wear at its finest. I won’t wear it until it’s double digit below zero and colder. It’s worth every penny.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
I wear the same stuff hunting that i wear ice fishing when temps drop below 20 degrees. I wear a frabill ice fishing coat with insulated carhart bib overalls and white Mickey Mouse boots throw in some disposable hand warmers and you'll stay warm all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Isn't that noisy?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Last year the cold snapped fast and I shivered my whole time hunting. I did get some new ECWCS from the military surplus that helped immensely. I do plan to put in some OT and get some Mickeys and a Heater Body Suit this year.

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
I wear thermals, red head wind stopper tops and bottoms, and my outer layers are Cabelas MT50 parka and bibs. LaCrosse boots (can’t remember the name of them) which I put on my boot dryer every night. I wear a head covering style face mask and thick scent lok hat. I have a ton of gloves to layer for bow hunting because I don’t like bulky gloves but if it’s real cold I’ll wear a pair of jersey gloves under a pair of fingerless windstopper mittens were the mitten flips out over the fingers.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
Please everyone tell me your secrets. I need to know what you guy's are wearing out there during these frigid michigan winters. I've ALWAYS had a problem keeping warm. It's so terrible I'm already thinking about it and it's only july. Haha. I don't really have the luxury of getting inside of a box blind with a heater. Every now and again I can get into a pop up with a buddy heater which makes it decent. But i still need something that can keep me warm with no heater at all! Long story short TELL ME!!! BEST COLD WEATHER GEAR YOU KNOW OF!!
Thanks in advance.
Hands and feet are where I focus. Boot blankets and a water proof lap blanket that I can wrap my hands in as needed. Same principal as a hand warmer pouch without the pouch. Hands free instantly without the bulk and movement associated with using a pouch.

Reactions: KEV.MI
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.