Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new duck call. Now the question whats best? I know its a personal prefrence but I got pretty good with the cheep calls and I think it might be holding me back now. So is there a difference in a 20 dollar call and a $150 call? I hunt everything from the Harsens Island draw to Anchor bay weed beds to small ponds and marshs in the N. lower. I use several calls now but would like to get a "good" but whats "good"?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I would go to Cableas, Bass Pro and Gander Mountain and try all the different brands they carry. The duck calls I would look at on the Foiles Migrators line of duck calls would be the Dead Meat Mallard dr or sr, Strait Meat Mallard dr or sr Timber Rattler dr, Strait Suzie dr or the Strait Timber dr. The Dead Meat Mallard is probaly the best all duck call that Foiles makes. The call can ring hail notes and got's a great bottom end. But you need to see what fits your calling style.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
I second the timber rattler....but my fav is my Paul Kinyon.....Shoot I bought a extra to put in the gun safe because I knew Paul was getting up there.....The Pt. Mouille waterfowl festival is Sep 20-21 they have a lot of calls you can check out down there also.......Mack....Does anyone know if Paul is still around?

·
Registered
584 Posts
If i had an extra 120.00 to blow on a call, I would get the RNT Daisy Cutter. Dont forget about wood calls. I just started using a wood call again and wonder why i ever stopped.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Great question...I never thought there was a difference...until last year...I was given a $150 RNT and it is fantastic...I bought a Zink acrylic...love it...I would spend the money...personally I hear the difference and the results backed it...:D

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
You might also want to try a custom made call. One made here in Michigan. There are several custom call makers in MI. The one I highly recommend can be found in my sig line. He carries a good selection of calls, one that will likely suit your skill level, and hunting style. If possible, make it a point to try before you buy.

Brian

·
Registered
540 Posts
carlson championship calls wood and acrylic

·
Premium Member
7,087 Posts
No doubt you've gotten to the point where you are ready for a high end call. The description you've given echo's the next step. Dahmer gave great advise to get somewhere to give some high end calls a test run. Is there a difference?-no question. A lot is in the caller. Give me the best clubs money can buy and give Tiger Woods a cheap Meijer set and he will kick my a** in golf. The same can be said with calls. However, when you are talking about instruments to create music, think about it. Would Bethoven have played on an Elmo piano? The better the material the better the sound quality and lasting consistency. You will find that with a high end call you will be able to create a series of calls which will flow from high to low scale much more consistently. You will be able to produce quality sound with varying degrees of air volume too. These things are generally not possible at the same quality with the cheap calls.
All the calls the previous posts have given are great. My personal favorite is an R-N-T original. I also have an Echo that I won't leave the dock without.
Cork quality is important. I will generally replace cork about 3 times a season. I can tell when the cork gets worn out. My point, try to get extra corks when you get a new call. I hit up Jim Ronquest at the Waterfowl U.S.A. summer event this year and he gave me some of his personal "stash".
Good luck, you WILL notice a difference.

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
I would recommend going to cabelas or gander and just messin around with calls. every caller is different so I would go play around with some and bring along a friend to tell you what sounds better.

I personally use a Zink Ph-2 and PH-1. I have owned and used pretty much every call on the market and depends on the caller and what your lookin for. Double reed will be more raspier. a single reed will generally be louder.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Another vote for test driving a bunch before you lay down the $$$. $100+ is a lot for anyone to spend on a call they can't run right and everyone's mouth, lips, calling style, amount of breath they use, and saliva they exhale are different... So, every call is going to react differently for each user. Give them all a run and when you find the one that's right for you, you'll know!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I like the lewis calls, but as you can see here, Your going to get a hundred different preferences as to what everyone likes, Do yourself a favor, make the drive and just blow till you cant blow anymore, and then choose what sounded best for how you call.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I have owned and used pretty much every call on the market. Original quote by Duckhunter
Not trying to start a feud here, but you must have tried a bunch of calls. Because last time I checked there were about 3500 call makers around the US and Canada.

All with the best calls on the market of course! :bonk:

Smoke

·
Registered
540 Posts
u live close enough to take a ride to Bass Pro don't ya?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Daiseycutter & Short Barrel R-N-T!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the replies, I am going to try them out but was looking for a few to start with. Pt. Mouille and maybe Wood and Water shows will be a good start. I like the idea of blowing them outside. Inside seems like it might give a false loudness.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts