Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting into bowhunting, and I'm getting all kinds of advice. Muzzy's are industry standard, but I was told Crimson Talons are the way to go. What do you use? And why? :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a longtime avid archer and bowtech, I've been fortunate to have the ability to field test numerous types and styles of broadheads. Honestly, with the broadheads that are available on the market these days, there's quite a few you can't go wrong with. I have a small handful I personally think are at the top of the list, but I always go with the Muzzy. Their just darn good broadheads that fly and penetrate excellent, but that's just my preference.

But regardless of which type and style of broadhead you go with, remember that the broadhead is only an extension of your arrow and bow and each of these elements must be properly tuned and calibrated together to ensure proper flight. In other words, the best broadhead in the world isn't worth a darn without proper tuning and calibration to your complete setup. Oh yea, and lots of practice! Good luck and enjoy.

( )
o o Just passing through >>>------------>
-

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
the best broadhead in the world isn't worth a darn without proper tuning and calibration to your complete setup. Oh yea, and lots of practice!
I think Gutpile Nile is probably right. Probably more in the tuning and practice than anything.......But, I'm sure no pro, and there are alot of archers on this site who reeeeeeeeeally seem to know what they're talkin' about, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

For what it's worth, The best results I've gotten out of a fixed blade broadhead was a 100 grain Thunderhead. Tried Muzzy's one year and F*@%&#g hated them.

All the fixed blades I've ever shot have been more eratic than my field points for sure, but I found it tough to keep the Muzzy's inside of a paper plate at 25-30. They were by far the worst (for me).

I switched to Rocket "Sidewinders" last year (mechanicals). I haven't gotten a deer yet with them to comment on the penitration as far as fixed blade vs. mechanical. I do know this though, I can practice with field points all summer and plug them in before the season and hit everything I aim at just fine with no sight adjustment.

Good luck.

Al

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess it's a truly personal sport. I also heard that 4 blade heads tend to wander more than the 3 blade heads.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Asking what people's fav. broadhead is is like asking whats your fav. car everyone has there very own

I like wasp. 75 gr. carbon arrows because I go for the most speed
every deer i shot the arrow went all the way thro but thats just my fav.
I think you should try three or four dif. broad heads same gr. they will all fly diffrent even with same gr. and see what one you like the best;)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
For me it's Rocket Mini-blasters.75gr of sudden death riding foreward on a carbon shaft.Never had a buck go further than 25-30 yds after punching him with this combo.Looks like ya ran your fist thru 'em.Pass thru every time.For me,when you've got YOUR best-to heck with the rest.As with any head,the rules for proper arrow assembly and flight always apply.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Rocky Mountain Snyper!! Greatest broadhead I have ever shot. I got 3 deer with it this year and they went no more than 75 yards. The entrance hole is unbelievable to say the least. I had full pass throughs on each deer. My dad and brother had the same results I did this year. 5 of my friends switched to these after seeing the damage that this little broadhead can do.

G

·
If you shoot a lot, then the ThunderHead and Muzzys are great, but you better listen to Nile. I did have to tune arrows and they do not fly like field points. They were ok for me because I do not 3D shoot. I always shot broad head friendly targets with my broad heads on when I practice.

I have tried the mechanicals and I am one for one. They fly just like field points. Penetration, I can not speak about. My shot was directly below my tree and the shot entered just off the spine angeling forward into the brisket. It did not exit the deer, however, I doubt that many would have. It did the job cutting uo lung and the deer ran only 75 yards.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Magnus Snuffer's. But the two things you have to do is sharpen then yourself, and sometimes reseat them on the adapter, once this is done they are deadly.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I shoot Muzzy 3-blade 100gr. I used to shoot Thunderheads, and one of the mechanical broadheads, didn't care for these, and tossed 'em out. Maybe this year, I will try some other type of broadhead, but I will keep my Muzzys.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I think I'll try a few different heads and see what flys best. I just bought a set of Muzzy's on Ebay for $9.99. (Set of 3).

·
Registered
547 Posts
The best broadhead out there is the one that shoots the best for you and your setup.

I used Thunderheads for years and liked them. Last year I switched to Stiinger 4 - blade 100 grain and they were very effective. I took a nice 8 - point at 20 yards. I double lunged it and it left a very good blood trail and the deer only traveled 50 yards. They also took only minor adjustments from my field points.

I only changed because I wanted to try a cut on contact point.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Rocky Mountian Primier 125gr.

The 'tough-as-nails' PREMIER SERIES was designed for today's high speed/high performance equipment. Available in 3 weights, the PREMIER SERIES offers great flight, great penetration and large wound channel to make sure you hit your target and bring your trophy home.

Cut-On-Impact, high carbon steel Power PointTM for added strength and maximum penetration.
Super strong, .030 Stainless steel blades.
Patented self-centering stainless steel 'Blade Lock' collar aligns head to shaft as you tighten broadhead for greater accuracy.
125 Grain with 1 ¼" Cutting diameter.

Best broadheads I have found and I've tried alot of them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts