Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is happening to the new KO's? I purchased three of them at one of the stores? (my age I can't remember where). Blueump complained that they did not hold the glow like the others did. He has a couple three hits with no hook-up. But I thought being his father that it was just his lack of experience :-((((. However, with sharpened hook and ready flash they were tossed last night - Wham, bang, splish, splash, and they were gone!!!!! I thought that I'd forgotten to sharpen the hooks. Again I re-sharpened - Bam, bam - wiggle, wiggle, bye, bye.

What is wrong with these hooks that they will not hold these Kings? I just previously was throwing a green cleo glow just before dark and got a nice king along with an 18 inch lampree eel who now is headless swimming around in the water someplace looking for the other half of his head.

What is you take on these KO's not holding there charge and expecially no holding with the hooks? All opinion are welcomed

Last night 1-4 bah hum bug -

· Registered
6,176 Posts
What is you take on these KO's not holding there charge and expecially no holding with the hooks? All opinion are welcomed
Put on a sharp single and hooks will no longer be a problem. As for the glow, they seemed like they were still the same to me this year. One thing I do when I buy new glow spoons though, is grab one about 3-4 spoons back, not the first one in line that sits in the lighting all the time.

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put on a sharp single and hooks will no longer be a problem. As for the glow, they seemed like they were still the same to me this year. One thing I do when I buy new glow spoons though, is grab one about 3-4 spoons back, not the first one in line that sits in the lighting all the time.
The problem with KO's is that when you find them on the shelf you grab the whole bunch and take them home. They are a rare item to find.

It is like canning jar lids none from Big Rapids to Traverse City at the local Walmarts - But found them in Olsons Grocery in TC.

· Registered
414 Posts
The stock hooks on Cleos and KO's are JUNK! I chuck them as soon as I get them. I will put on singles, gamakatsu trebs, or VMC trebs before they go in the tackle box.

The Cleo/KO/Old School Luhr Jensen/Daredevil all use the first generation glow paint. They have been using the same glow paint technology for 15 years. Moonshine, Wolverine, New School Luhr Jensen, and even Bass Pro shops uses the newest form of glow paint that holds true color (not everything looks 'green') and holds a charge forever.

Jon made another really good point, if you can grab the lures 2-3 back they are less faded from the fl. lights that the stores use.

· Registered
5,068 Posts
The problem I noticed with the glow is that they used to glow in two tone...dark green on one side and light green on the other side. The spoons my dad had the same "glow tone" across the entire spoon's face.

As far as hooks, I've never had a problem hooking up with the ones I use, and I rarely, if ever, lose a hook up - even on the original hooks. I have however changed about half of my hooks to red hooks, which really hasn't made any difference. They do come out of the package pretty sharp...just ask my thumb!

· Registered
495 Posts
My experiance, the older the spoon, more it has been flashed and splashed, they start to lose their staying power. Also change the hooks on all my spoons, usually a gamaghatzu, and usually goe one size smaller. And it seems like (this year) if you can find em, BUYEM!!

· Registered
414 Posts
My experiance, the older the spoon, more it has been flashed and splashed, they start to lose their staying power. Also change the hooks on all my spoons, usually a gamaghatzu, and usually goe one size smaller. And it seems like (this year) if you can find em, BUYEM!!
The Cleos and KO's glow finish is not smooth so it allows for dirt and crud to get into the crevices and dull the glow. I spray mine with a couple coats of clear coat or epoxy to prevent this...just a thought...

· Registered
454 Posts
Seem fine to me, Got a big channel cat and sheephead this morning off a green glow. I was loosing fish this year until i changed out the hooks... I wish the kings would come out and play now.

· Registered
2,852 Posts
The Cleos and KO's glow finish is not smooth so it allows for dirt and crud to get into the crevices and dull the glow. I spray mine with a couple coats of clear coat or epoxy to prevent this...just a thought...
I'll second that. If you don't the spoon will last for about three trips before the glow paint gets chipped and or dirty.

Single hooks, I am a believer after this year. I had one night where I missed quite a few fish in a row on the stock hooks. I changed over to singles and the percentages seemed to increase dramatically.

· Registered
653 Posts
When I used to work in a bodyshop, I used to spray all my lures with clearcoat. It definitely helps some. I also used to put really fine glitter in the clearcoat and spray all my daytime spoons with it. It gave them a nice sparkle in the sun.

I also noticed this year, if you put several spoons in the same spot in your box, they tend to get dirty or chipped easier. I only put one spoon per spot in my box now and all my spoons stay looking brand new. Except for the teeth marks in them.:)

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I can find these hooks at the bait shop. What is the size # on these triple or single hooks?

Yes, things are looking really good for tomorrow:

To the river I will go, to the river I will go, high over the fish will my lure go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.