Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished a few different lakes this past weekend and at 3 of them I came across places people were fishing and then leaving their bluegills just laying there!! Some were pretty big piles and some were small fish but some were big! This was at 3 compete different places and I'm sure it wasn't the same people doing it. Maybe I'm missing something but isn't the ideal to let the littles get bigger or what.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I watched this a few times last year for the first time too. They were all smalls. At first I thought maybe they were swallowing it. But I went over after he left a hole, and the ones that were fresher just seemed like they needed a little help being revived. Apparently he didn't want to bend over and help them be revived, but maybe he knows something I don't.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Morons think there helping a lake by removing stunted blue gills.
i always wonder how they know what the lake needs but thats what most of those guys think there doing helping the lake get bigger fish:sad:

·
Registered
18,226 Posts
I disagree with leaving small ones on the ice. Some are obviously just younger year classes. If I am fishing a lake with a stunted gill population, and that is rare ,I fillet them little ones and eat them. No qualms about pulling limits in those conditions though fewer fish than a limit are usually plenty.
Nursery sized fish not always hanging out near the biggest fish in a lake.
Too some suspend above the larger ones or commit to biting first.
If large are few; eat little ones.

·
Registered
184 Posts
*******S.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
BS is what it is. A confrontation would occur if I ever saw this happen. And a call to the RAP line as well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Fished a lake sunday with two dozen 7-9 in crappie and 5-7" gills on the ice left dead. I was livid to say the least..it's a good thing I wasn't there I have a feeling the few I see on there that are two sheets to the wind had a hand in this and it wouldn't have went well. I don't stand for that, no need at any instance even a stunted overpopulated lake to throw for dead. Keep or go back. There was also mass amounts of feathers my ole lady found and upon further inspection, I found spent 22 rounds....like I said I'm glad I wasn't there at the time...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Left one nice 8 inch gill on the ice today but that was cause of the dam sneaky sea gull that grabbed it and took off with it needless to say I went home with 24 lol. But things like that piss me off I actually called the radio line over the weekend because of it watched a group getting drunk making a mess and leaving gills that would miss the hole just lay on the ice

·
Registered
191 Posts
Years ago I would see the coyotes come out and eat those little bugs. That was cool. But still a real bullcrap thing to do

·
Registered
182 Posts
Besides being slob fishermen, it is illegal and merits a ticket. In the fishing guide it states it is illegal to leave fish or offal (such as idiots who leave guts and bones after cleaning their fish on ice).

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have seen this from lake St. Clair to all the way down here on local lakes. Most are dink perch or rock bass. Some of which were nice rock bass. Really pissed me off. I asked on guy why he was throwing fish around the ice and he said they were garbage fish. I told him he should leave them alone and let some little kid catch them or someone else. He just gave me a dirty look.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Oh, that drives me nuts :mad:. I see that almost every time I go out on Lk. Fenton. Usually Crappie, but I've seen gills and sunnies too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My Daddy always said, "You kill it-you eat it." I've yet to kill another blue jay.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My Daddy always said, "You kill it-you eat it." I've yet to kill another blue jay.
HAHAHAHA OH MY!!! Lessoned well learned.... baaaaarrrrrf :D

I dont see it as much as i used to when i was a younger kid, but i still find a few on the ice here and there. Usually small "throwbacks". Still disturbing. My 9 yr old son asked me, "dad if they arent going to take them home and eat them, why do they do that?"

I tell him, "son, nobody ever taught these people about mother nature, and what it means to be a REAL SPORTSMAN."

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
...and more often than not it seems in my experience you see these fish surrounded by cigarette butts and/or other forms of litter. Slobs that just don't give a ****.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I always hate seeing the piles of non keepers.
Just recently, my folk's lake(Lobdell) association biologist told them to start culling more small sunfish. Essentially to leave a pile of dinks on the ice. They are definitely stunted in the last few years. Or put in spawning beds and used to have some huge gills come in, but not so much anymore. They claim not enough people keep them and predation is down. There has been an invasive algae that took out most of the original weed cover and messed up bass' hunting, spawning and rearing areas.
They also talked of stocking walleye, crappie, and catfish.
That lake has changed so much in the 25 years I've been fishing it. I wonder what's next.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts