Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody Have Any Info On The Black River. Thinking About Going This Weekend, Any Good Reports To Pass On. Thanks. Fishmaster 105

·
Registered
380 Posts
still getting limits with salmon mixed in....jig slow, natural smelt colors with 1/2 oz. and stinger hook. walleyes are schooled up and work the area once you catch one....:fish:

·
Administrator
17,564 Posts
Where is the Black River?
<----<<<

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
SPARTY8607 said:
It flows into the St Clair River north of Algonac.
Since he's from Flint, I'm assuming he meant right at Port Huron. Are there two Black Rivers?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sorry, Yes Port Huron, It is north of Algonac though. I was thinking of the Belle River in Marine City.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Joe Archer said:
Where is the Black River?
<----<<<
Float South down the St. Clair River from the Blue Water Bridge about a mile until you smell the stench of a toilet. Always easy to tell when you've reached the Black River.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
huntsalot said:
Float South down the St. Clair River from the Blue Water Bridge about a mile until you smell the stench of a toilet. Always easy to tell when you've reached the Black River.
A common sentiment, but wrong. Talk with the biologists from that district in SE michigan and you'll be very surprised to hear the truth about the water quality in the Black. Muddy yes...polluted no. Or at least no more than your average stream in southern Michigan. They can tell a lot by the fish and aquatic life in a stream, and I probably shouldn't say this on the open forum but the Black is a darn good river for smallies. And why do you think they plant steelies in the Black? Shhhh ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
just ducky said:
A common sentiment, but wrong. Talk with the biologists from that district in SE michigan and you'll be very surprised to hear the truth about the water quality in the Black. Muddy yes...polluted no. Or at least no more than your average stream in southern Michigan. They can tell a lot by the fish and aquatic life in a stream, and I probably shouldn't say this on the open forum but the Black is a darn good river for smallies. And why do you think they plant steelies in the Black? Shhhh ;)
And how do you account for the smell?

I disagree. Upriver is better, but in the Port Huron area locals won't swim in it, let alone do anything else in it. Read the Port Huron Times Herald the day after a big rain and see how many millions of gallons of sewage was dumped due to storm water overflow - albeit things are inproving since PH is seperating their storm sewers.

·
Banned
261 Posts
the water treatment plant is right there that is where the smell comes from not the black river l.o.lhttp://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/images/smilies/dizzy.gif :dizzy:

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
hyperformance1 said:
the water treatment plant is right there that is where the smell comes from not the black river
With the warm temps last weekend...the plant was pretty ripe!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Just depends which way the wind is blowing.:D Been there in the early Spring fishing for Steel and Browns and it smelled then.Them water treatment plants can be as bad as a landfill.:p

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
huntsalot said:
And how do you account for the smell?

I disagree. Upriver is better, but in the Port Huron area locals won't swim in it, let alone do anything else in it. Read the Port Huron Times Herald the day after a big rain and see how many millions of gallons of sewage was dumped due to storm water overflow - albeit things are inproving since PH is seperating their storm sewers.
You can disagree all you want. I'm not the expert, only passing on what I found out by speaking with the experts. I was also surprised, and there are several other rivers in southern Michigan that were surprisingly clean. So if you care to get the real facts, speak to those who do the testing...the water quality folks and biologists with the DEQ & DNR, SE Michigan office.

And regarding the issues after a heavy rainfall, welcome to southern Michigan, and a large part of the midwest for that matter. I can name lots of southern Michigan rivers with the same problem. But they're in the process of a major sewer separation project in PH, which when complete should prevent this problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
when i was a kid 50 years ago i used to fish where the huron lady docks. now i wouldnt wet a line in the river
RICH

·
Registered
642 Posts
Back to the original subject of this email. How is the fishing up there? Thinking about trying some whippin up there this weekend. It is about an hour drive so I was hoping to hear some good reports before burning the gas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts