Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only hunted black powder a few times and hardly ever have seen deer. For those of you that hunt black powder often is there a better time to hunt during the day than others or is it pretty much the first few hours in the morning and the last few hours of daylight? I have read that late season hunting is better during the mid day and I just wanted to hear from some of you that have some experience to confirm or deny this.
Thanks.

·
Registered
18,653 Posts
Where do the deer you are hunting come from,where are they going and when? How does that relate to your stand(s) site?That,s your answer outside of major weather swings and added pressure.
Numbers wise for me its evenings. Mostly because mornings are crazy till well after sunrise here before getting outside unless getting up in the middle of the night..So my most productive sites are evening feeding areas.
That means nothing if deer are moving at first lite though for you.

·
Registered
35,738 Posts
I will be doing all day sits for the first 3 days to determine what their movement patterns are. In my area the deer bed close to the food source so I try to beat them to my spot in the dark and wait them out even if it means no sighting until 5:00pm. You only get one chance late in the season why take a chance in ruining your spot that you are seeing movement.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Depends on your area. In my area, sun up to about 10am and the last hour of the day is the ticket.

·
Premium Member
8,624 Posts
If it gets really cold or get alot of snow you may see deer at anytime of the day. Just be by the food. Right now, just after gun season, they move the last 1/2 hour or so, 50 yrds, from the swamp to the corn.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
If it gets really cold or get alot of snow you may see deer at anytime of the day.
Some years in prolonged cold snowy weather and you get one day where the temp rises above freezing and the sun is out in the middle of the day, the middle of the day can provide the best movement..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts