Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 50lb thrust 12 volt minkota trolling motor and have regular deep cycle marine batteries but I am wondering if a Gel or AGM is worth the cost to upgrade. looking for longer length of use and ability to charge quickly. like to get two .... one to use and one to charge on shore while I'm out fishing for 4 hrs

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
Feel free to Search for the multitude of posts that have been made on this subject previously....

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
You will have to decide for yourself if the higher end batteries are worth the extra cost for you. I would guess 75% say no for their applications of cost vs use. I tried them once and did not go back, but that was many many years ago. If you don't mind the weight of the largest capacity lead batteries, they will give you a longer running time than what you probably have now. To save that weight, go with the higher cost dry cell in the same configuration. One thing to consider, it only takes one time of leaving a switch on or charger fail and rendering your batteries completely useless. Depending on how/when it happens you might be able bring it back to life if it was fairly new, a 3 yr old battery, not usually. Then you have to purchase new batteries again. One battery isn't as bad as having 3 batteries get drained and have to replace. Also, since I spend a lot of $$ to fish, for me I never want to be out on the water and have my batteries fail. So I check them a lot and change them out usually every 3 to 4 yrs depending on use, cheap insurance for my situation.
Just a few things to think about.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
I use cabelas size 31 AGM batteries on my trolling motor and starting battery. I've fished two days straight on the river with my minn kota 12v power drive without a charge. AGM batteries cannot discharge, you can't overcharge, and they don't discharge. Mine are in the barn all winter, plug them in in the spring and they still have a full charge.

I bought the same for my new boat. Ensure your charger will charge AGM batteries. I by mine on sale and during free shipping so I get them for about 130

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Interstate Deep Cycle Marine Batteries. I have a 24v set up and my current batteries were purchased in May of 2010. At the end of every season both batteries are removed and stored in my garage. Every couple months during the off season I hook up the battery charger and give them a full charge. Will they make it through one more spring & fall Walleye season on the Detroit and St. Clair River? If they don't I certainly know what brand I'm replacing them with. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts