Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I know this has been asked many times, but either the search on here don't work, or I'm an idiot:lol: Can't find any previous threads for some reason. I'm looking to get a gps, maybe in a week or 2, and looking for the most detailed as far as countours for sag. bay and great lakes. I thought I like the hummingbirds, but looked at them and the lowance today at Franks, and the Lowrance looked better. but neither looked as detailed as what I thought they would, unless the map they show you in store is different than on the water. Thanks for any help. The 2 I looked at were the hummingbird 788 hdci, and Lowrance HD5 insight. Both were combos and both same size screen, and both were $699.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I run the lowrance with a navionics chip the version with 1ft. contour lines. Works good for us. I have found a few places where it is wrong or something is missing, but it's very rare. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just purchased the Hummingbird 858c Combo and the mapping system that is exclusive to hummingbird seems to be superior to Lowr. (or at least I thought so). Hummingbird also has the shallow water feature that will high-light shallow water for you in red, such as the sand bars and such. The prices are better on the Hummingbird units also. If ya have questions about the hummingbirds let me know and i will see if I can help ya out.

Also, the customer service seems to be much better at Hummingbird then Lowrance. When I was comparing units I called Lowrance to inquire about enhanced mapping for Saginaw bay, and no one at Lowrance customer service knew where the Saginaw bay is and could not answer my questions. Just something to think about.

Good Luck in your search Ralph!

·
Registered
623 Posts
2 Pm's sent Ralph.

Just wanted to say Navionic chip will give you the Local's Landmark's on the Bay....Cigar, Horn, Triple Humps ETC..... Lakemaster chip has a slightly different contour display.

Both chips... Nav. and LM show things that the other one does not.

Lakemaster is with Humminbird as everyone knows by now. If you are planning on running the Ipilot you might want to really consider the HB. The way they are intergrating the Lakemaster chip with the Ipilot is going to be huge. You can always run a Nav. chip in the bird as well.

·
Premium Member
29,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Maybe its different when your actually on the water than the preloaded program they show you. It doesn't show the countours very well on either. Both maps were pretty general, don't know if the lowrance was Navionics or not, didn't ask. The guy said it was called "insight" on the HD5 or 7. The thing was the lowrance came preloaded with the bay, the great lakes, and 90% of the inland lakes, and the bird only had the bay, and that was it? Would have to purchase the mapchip additionally. Looking for detail like the mapquest map..... http://mapserver.mytopo.com/homepag...index.cfm&bpid=MAP0060030900&latlontype=DM.MM The Seaclear program that "Prioity1" has on his tuff book is identical to it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks guys. Maybe its different when your actually on the water than the preloaded program they show you. It doesn't show the countours very well on either. Both maps were pretty general, don't know if the lowrance was Navionics or not, didn't ask. The guy said it was called "insight" on the HD5 or 7. The thing was the lowrance came preloaded with the bay, the great lakes, and 90% of the inland lakes, and the bird only had the bay, and that was it? Would have to purchase the mapchip additionally. Looking for detail like the mapquest map..... http://mapserver.mytopo.com/homepag...index.cfm&bpid=MAP0060030900&latlontype=DM.MM The Seaclear program that "Prioity1" has on his tuff book is identical to it.

Your correct about the Lowrance and the "insight" map. That is what you get and it will NOT help you out on the Saginaw bay if your looking for much detail. Also the Hummingbird has TWO USB card reader slots so you can install your maps card and run an additional card for additional options if you wish.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Ralph.... Are you going to be around this weekend? I will be glad to show you both senarios and the advantages of both chips. I will give you a Blade Box as well. If you want.... I can show you the Side Imaging along with the DI and the advantages to that as well.

·
Premium Member
29,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ralph.... Are you going to be around this weekend? I will be glad to show you both senarios and the advantages of both chips. I will give you a Blade Box as well. If you want.... I can show you the Side Imaging along with the DI and the advantages to that as well.
Working sometime tonight and home either tomarrow night or sat. morning. Will give you a call when I get back home. Thanks:)

·
Super Moderator
37,758 Posts
Garmin has the best detail, bar none. It's NOAA charts in a plotting GPS.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Well I have sent my hummingbird 597 back 3 times only for them to not to fix the problem. Humminbird just keeps wasting my time and its getting costly having to keep sending it back. Not happy at all about it thought service would be much better. Should of stuck with Lowrance where I wouldnt of needed customer service. Words cant not say how much I am PO ed about this. Guess ill just move on and keep using the POS. :rant: never again

·
Premium Member
29,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Garmin has the best detail, bar none. It's NOAA charts in a plotting GPS.
Thanks, didn't see any garmin, but didn't have alot of time. Will look at those next trip that way, that unfortunately will be soon again. Forgot a couple things:rant: Went to get split ring pliers, forgot those, but left with a few salmon spoons and a couple 150' coppers!:lol:

Well I have sent my hummingbird 597 back 3 times only for them to not to fix the problem. Humminbird just keeps wasting my time and its getting costly having to keep sending it back. Not happy at all about it thought service would be much better. Should of stuck with Lowrance where I wouldnt of needed customer service. Words cant not say how much I am PO ed about this. Guess ill just move on and keep using the POS. :rant: never again
Hmmm, hummingbird ehh. That's helping:) Sorry though Brandon your having troubles, but thanks for the info.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That why you're going by angry angler?
Lol.....
What is the latest on your unit?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
The Seaclear program that "Prioity1" has on his tuff book is identical to it.
Bumming Bird, Low-Rants, and Garwin's, chip game is what sent me down the Toughbook, Free NOAA Charts, and Free Seaclear2, software road. Those proprietary chips they sell for their units are expensive. Paying several hundred dollars for a unit and then having to buy more than one chip to cover different areas of the state is the problem I had with them. Most of their proprietary chips are derived from free NOAA data and then sold for big bucks to sportsmen. Our government makes the data available to all of us and allows manufacturers of these units to use the data and put it in a proprietary form.

I also run a free program called Open CPN with a different type of NOAA chart. A ton of stuff available on the www.

·
Super Moderator
37,758 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Garmin gets my vote. Bought mine at franks for less than the ones you looked at. Stores 3,000 way points and will store all your trails , will also run auto pilot and a bunch of other stuff I haven't figured out yet. Very accurate and detailed unit. came highly recommended by Andy and after 2 years I have no regrets. A very useful tool ,records the date entered on the way points making it easier to get on the fish for years to come.

·
Premium Member
29,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
If you plan to do that make sure to get the internal GPS antenna. I have a buddy who runs a HDS on the dash of his sled its great. :coolgleam

·
Premium Member
29,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you plan to do that make sure to get the internal GPS antenna. I have a buddy who runs a HDS on the dash of his sled its great. :coolgleam
Thanks. Yep, looking for a dual purpose unit. I really like the toughbook Frank runs, and want to go that route, but will wait until I have a bigger boat to put it on. Right now, I have a small boat, but want to be able to use it in winter also.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts