Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have decided on what rods and reels to buy now I need to know what line I should go with. I am going to run these rods with in-line planer boards and off a mast and big boards. They are 8'6" rods and line counter reels. I fish mostly walleyes and will be on Erie and Saginaw bay.

Thanks for the help !!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I use a 10lb iron silk with the big boards on Erie, easy to use with the trollers bible (precision trolling book) dive curves and all. Don't leave home without it, a great tool to have for open water trolling.

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
You can opt for more expensive stuff as most of us have at times but 10 lb mono is hard to beat for trolling. Sometimes, if I get too caught up with trying to out do the other guy, I get into flourocarbon leads which I do think helps but me, my father and my fathers father have done quite well on "cat gut".

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I use 10lb Trilene XT. I think your other option would be Fireline in the 10lb diameter, that way it works with the charts without conversions.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I think that a high-abrasion mono would be best for your situation since you are going to use inlines. If you let your inline slide to the fish or pull it off midstream, it would put excess stress on the line and it will wear over time. 10-12 lb would be best for this, but nothing larger or you will need to let out a half mile to get down to your desired depth. I use fire on my harness rods since I don't run those off of boards, and I like having the lure as close to the boat as possible. It makes it easier to make sharp turns and hookups are a no brainer with non-stretch lines.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I use 10 lb. fireline and to tell you the truth, I am not too crazy about it for trolling w/ big boards. I can't seem to keep them in the realeases when I use the hot n tots or wiggle warts. Converting the line lengths from the trolling bible can be a pain at times too. I do use the fireline on all other applications for walleye and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I must agree, Trilene XT is about as good as anything out there for troling. I dont like the no strech lines for troling. I have tryed fireline and I think I loose more fish do the lack of give and strech. Most fish I land troling with fireline end up having large holes in there mouths from the hooks pulling almost out. But I do love fireline for vertical jigging.

·
Registered
959 Posts
O ya, I gota say the precision troling book is a must have! I know the new one is out and was wondering if anyone has it yet. Was wondering if they added all the lates bates and if it is worth the up grade? Mine is 2 years old and has seen better days so I figure I will get the new one anyway.

·
Banned
7,550 Posts
[but me, my father and my fathers father have done quite well on "cat gut". [/B][/QUOTE] I have not heard the term cat gut in a long time.lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
10# BERKLEY TRILIENE XT IS THE ANSWER,LOW COST,IS ACCURATE WITH DIVE CHARTS,STAYS IN YOUR RELEASES.THE HYBRID LINES HAVE NO STRETCH AND CAN GIVE YOU PROBLEMS WITH TEARING HOOKS OUT IF THE FISH ISNT FOUGHT CAREFULLY,BUT I LOVE THE THE STUFF FOR VERTICAL JIGGING.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts