Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I are bringing our families up to Tawas for the weekend and we will have our kayaks with us. What options do we have for fishing? We are looking at Tawas lake and the rivers/tribs connecting to it, as well as Saginaw bay (in close where the kayaks can go). Perhaps Tawas Bay will hold some perch? Is Foote dam pond worth the trip?

Any help for options in the area is appreciated! We're looking for anything that'll pull back, but a meal would be a bonus.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Really? Thanks for the input. ;)

Just kidding... seems few fish inland/shallow in the area. Got some input from GVSUKUSH and we'll be fishing Tawas Lake for starters. I'll be sure to give a report.

Here :fish: :fish: :fish:

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Near shore in Tawas Bay this time of year is going to be slow. Tawas Lake has good numbers of Gills and Pike, also lots of weeds. At Oscoda ,drift the Ausable for Bass. The back waters of all of the dams hold pan fish, not much current above the dams though. Fish the mouth of the river at night for cats and walleye.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, all in all it was a great weekend. Spiff and I hit Tawas lake on Saturday and Sunday mornings (light to around 930). The first day it took us a bit to find them, but managed a dozen or so gills. Next day we knew where to go and took a couple dozen. Had a great lunch on Sunday... had enough to feed us and all five kids! There were bass/pike around, but we didn't target them.

Turns out that HemlockNailer is affiliated with the place that we stayed (lulu's cabins) and we had the chance to meet today before we headed out of town. Man what a great place! It's right on the (big) lake, fully loaded, and clean as I've ever seen. It's definately a family-oriented place. I would HIGHLY recommend looking them up if you want to stay in the area.

All in all a good weekend. A bit sore from all the paddling; we played around in the big lake quite a bit, especially when the wind and waves were up. The great fishing was just a bonus!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts