Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll admit I'm a bit of a fly rod Junkie. I have 2 spey rods and 4 switch rods. These are the 3 I use the most.

Echo Full Spey, 13' 7wt, 480 gr Airflo Scout Skagit head, Orvis Hydros Reel. The red and black backing was done up by Corey at Schultz's. He calls it the Darth Maul of reels knowing what a Star Wars Fan I am.

Redington 7116-4 Chromer, 360gr SA Spey lite Integrated line. Ross CLA 5 reel

Redington 6110-4 Prospector, 310gr SA Spey Lite Integrated Line. Ross Cimarron II reel

The Echo is my big water rod, AuSable, Manistee, Muskegon, St. Mary's Rapids.

The Redington's are my smaller water and Steelhead Alley Roads. I've probably caught more fish on the Chromer than anything else. It's a joy to cast and has held up to a lot of abuse by me and and some big fish.

Wood Gas Shelving Measuring instrument Machine

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey mfs686, thanks for starting this thread. I was wondering what the right approach to this topic would be and I think you got it started in the right direction. First I'm totally lost on the right rod. I bought a echo 11 ft. 7 wt. fiberglass switch rod a few years ago, also a couple of echo ion 8/9 reels. One reel is loaded with 420 grain airflo skagit, the other with rio switch chucker. Well long story short, I became devoted to dry fly fishing for the last few years, and I'm now the proud owner of 2 gloomis rods and a couple of orvis rods. But now I'm really feeling the itch to steelhead fish once again. I,m retired and spend a lot of time near Roscommon, I've come to enjoy streamer fishing also. So in a long winded way I'm trying to figure out this spey game. I like the idea of the echo spey rods, but and this is a big but for me, where are they made? I have no problem with rods made in S. korea or for that matter anywhere but China. I actually like the Taylor line of single hand rods and the new graphene looks like a winner to me. I see Beulah has a graphene rod. I don't mind paying near 600.00 dollars for a rod, just not one made in china.
Mike.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey mfs686, thanks for starting this thread. I was wondering what the right approach to this topic would be and I think you got it started in the right direction. First I'm totally lost on the right rod. I bought a echo 11 ft. 7 wt. fiberglass switch rod a few years ago, also a couple of echo ion 8/9 reels. One reel is loaded with 420 grain airflo skagit, the other with rio switch chucker. Well long story short, I became devoted to dry fly fishing for the last few years, and I'm now the proud owner of 2 gloomis rods and a couple of orvis rods. But now I'm really feeling the itch to steelhead fish once again. I,m retired and spend a lot of time near Roscommon, I've come to enjoy streamer fishing also. So in a long winded way I'm trying to figure out this spey game. I like the idea of the echo spey rods, but and this is a big but for me, where are they made? I have no problem with rods made in S. korea or for that matter anywhere but China. I actually like the Taylor line of single hand rods and the new graphene looks like a winner to me. I see Beulah has a graphene rod. I don't mind paying near 600.00 dollars for a rod, just not one made in china.
Mike.
I do not remember where the Echo is made. About the only rod I know of for sure being made in the US is Scott.

There are so many different ones out there now it's hard to keep track. For me it came down to the Fly Shop's recommendation. I had started out with a 7 wt Ross Reach Switch but it broke and they wouldn't honor their warranty. The shop set me up with the Chromer and I couldn't be happier.

The Propsector was a demo they had and they were trying to talk me into buying it. My fiance intervened and told me to just buy it already. They told me I could bring her back in whenever I liked. lol

A 7 wt Switch should handle just about anything Michigan will throw at you. I travel to Alaska so I wanted the bigger rods. Bigger water, bigger fish, stronger current. The Naknek Rainbows are insane. 300 foot runs before they decide to stop. The guides I knew recommended the Echo so I got it before my trip.

Main thing with any rod is getting the right line and then practice, practice, practice. Spend the money for lessons with a qualified instructor. It will pay off in the long run. Trying to figure this out on your own by watching videos will cause you to beat your head on a rock.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Redington had a Black Friday sale, and those Chromers went for $199. Missed out on the 7126-4, so I opted for the 7136-4 to get the feel of using a full spey. Waiting on the line to be delivered so I can use it this coming holiday in West Mi, also looking forward to the St Mary's river next fall.

Current go to rod is a Sage Z-axis 6110-4 switch. This past summer picked up an Orvis Mission 11'4" 4wt trout spey - what a blast.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll admit I'm a bit of a fly rod Junkie. I have 2 spey rods and 4 switch rods. These are the 3 I use the most.

Echo Full Spey, 13' 7wt, 480 gr Airflo Scout Skagit head, Orvis Hydros Reel. The red and black backing was done up by Corey at Schultz's. He calls it the Darth Maul of reels knowing what a Star Wars Fan I am.

Redington 7116-4 Chromer, 360gr SA Spey lite Integrated line. Ross CLA 5 reel

Redington 6110-4 Prospector, 310gr SA Spey Lite Integrated Line. Ross Cimarron II reel

The Echo is my big water rod, AuSable, Manistee, Muskegon, St. Mary's Rapids.

The Redington's are my smaller water and Steelhead Alley Roads. I've probably caught more fish on the Chromer than anything else. It's a joy to cast and has held up to a lot of abuse by me and and some big fish.

View attachment 615629
B4s4

Sent from my SM-G960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mike.
Fsf 6ftx3

Sent from my SM-G960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Banned
8,727 Posts
Mike.
I have 3 rods that suit different needs. Mostly I wait until rods go on close out and shoe up on www.sierra.com

My 12’6” Winston B3TH 7 weight came from there. $1,200 rod for $600 on closeout. It’s got a great moderate action that goes well with a 425 grain Skagit line in light wind or 500 grain Skagit in heavier wind.

My back up when I travel is a Scott TH that I think is 12’9” 7 weight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.