Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I love to river fish, we don't get out alot, once or twice each spring. We have a 14 foot boat and like to backtroll with flatfish or wiggle warts for steelhead. We "wing it" looking for the right hole to fish in. We are looking to catch and release one or two fish per trip, not asking for much. Should we give it a try between Newago and the dam next week? We have never fished the Muskegon. Whatcha think?

Roger & Cindy

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Welcome to the site. There are good numbers of fish in the Muskegon right now based on what my friends up there have been telling me so that is probably as good a bet as any. The water is still high so you should have no problem getting around in your boat, either. Make sure you bring plenty of anchor, because you will need it. Good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I fished the muskegon thursday 4-12 and we never hooked a fish fished for four hours. My brother went back today and fished from 6 till one never saw a fish caught. fished right at croton damand down from there. i was there about a week ago during spring break and between 4 of us we had 3 on so i dont think the fish are there the best we did was right at the dam and we ve only caught 5 there and probly fished there 10 time i think its a bad year for steel headf weather keeps messingit up:(

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
fishhogster said:
I fished the muskegon thursday 4-12 and we never hooked a fish fished for four hours. My brother went back today and fished from 6 till one never saw a fish caught. fished right at croton damand down from there. i was there about a week ago during spring break and between 4 of us we had 3 on so i dont think the fish are there the best we did was right at the dam and we ve only caught 5 there and probly fished there 10 time i think its a bad year for steel headf weather keeps messingit up:(
The guys fishing out of boats downstream have been doing well and based on the numbers they are hooking, the fish are there, just maybe not right at the dam. Sorry to hear that it was not good fishing for you. If the water was lower, clearer, and wadeable, you would probably be able to hook more fish. But, they are there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'd been fishing the Croton/Newaygo stretch at least twice a week since mid March. I saw the fishing get better and better each day right up until last Monday. In areas just downstream from Croton, where we hooking around 15-20 fish an evening, we could'nt find a fish. I wound up finding some fish a couple miles downstream and had some good action there. I have'nt been back up there all week but if I was going I would'nt fish near the dam.

·
Registered
677 Posts
we've been doin good downstream...fish are there just got know what holes and runs are good...thing about the Mo..it all looks good but it isnt...and i have a problem when the sun is out it is hard to find fish but when its cloudy their jumpin in the boat..i'll be back next week..good luck

·
Registered
677 Posts
Flyfisher said:
The guys fishing out of boats downstream have been doing well and based on the numbers they are hooking, the fish are there, just maybe not right at the dam. Sorry to hear that it was not good fishing for you. If the water was lower, clearer, and wadeable, you would probably be able to hook more fish. But, they are there.
water is perfect..its at 6.8 ft and 41 F cant be better clarity has been bout right too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts