Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at sportsmans warehouse yesterday and they had a good deal on BB weights. Bag of 6 for just over $5. Picked up some 3 ozers, 2.5 ozers, and 2.0 ozers. Should last me a while.
Not painted just plain ole lead color. So I thought I would paint them, like some chartreuse and some flourescent orange.
Whats a good paint to use? And should I clear coat them too?

· Premium Member
270 Posts
I actually just resurrected some of my fishing gear, and had a whole bunch of weights including bottom bouncers that were badly oxided. I also had some new ones that showed up as well, so I brushed cleaned the old ones and decided to paint them all. I had some Rust Stop enamel in aluminum gloss that I had around and used that on the weights, pretty much brought everything back to what you'd see in a original bright lead weight but should significantly reduce the lead oxidation. Personal preference to be sure, but my reasoning was to get the fishes attention without taking away from the thing with hooks behind it that gets the job done. I also figure that it should slow down the oxidation of lead into our waterways that our water and food come from (if only by a little bit).

Reactions: Erik

· Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Like dat rolling stones song captain! "Paint it black" I've only painted my 1/2oz n 1oz before,but just cause I got sick of squinting my ole Blu eyes lookin in my fashin bb bag for those sizes.i think beat up plain lead is best n black.esp in the clear water conditions;) I think yur idea would help in de mudd at times doe

· Registered
14,578 Posts
My take is I don’t want a color down there that might prevent a fish from coming in to take a look. Really don’t want to start having to find some blade & bouncer color combinations that work. There are times they won’t touch a bright blade, so on those days I don’t want to have something else bright down there. Plain lead probably blends in pretty well with what else is down there. Maybe do some green ones for fishing the weed lines if you want to get fancy and leave it at that.

· Registered
3,123 Posts
If the point is to identify the weights so you could tell easily tell what weight they are, put different dot configurations with white out or use any hobby paints. I do that with magic markers on my rechargeable batteries that are the same type to be able to use them in rotation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.