Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Do you allow access on your property for disease testing?

• Allow them access and cooperate to the best of your ability

• Tell them to kick rocks and hope the neighbors do the same.

• Other (elaborate in thread)

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

· Registered
5,052 Posts
They are still holding Dickinson County hostage over a so called positive test on a member of the legislatures property.
I don't trust them for anything. Been several years now and still the same rules and no more positive tests.
How many years do you think it should take for the transboundary movement radio collar study to generate enough information to provide guidance? Say, wasn't there a doe that tested positive outside of a former high fence operation inside fifteen miles from the board recently in Wisconsin. How far did the radio collared deer at the three sites being monitored travel into Wisconsin? Context is important, to inform a decision...if you make those judgements based on information and not emotion.

John Gill, a famous statistician once said, "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence". He also said, "All things are probable, fewer-still among them are likely." Somewhere between those two divergent comments is where reality exists. He was trying to convey a very important aspect of probability theory, as well as how it applies to reality.

· Registered
23,989 Posts
I've been through the C.W.D. reaction plan on my property.
Some called it a response plan..

First question : did the results curtail spread? IF they didn't , killing deer for testing beyond volunteered samples is moot to me.

If spread was reduced then why are we where we are today; so far from C.W.D.'s origin we are provided with by science as it's source?

To answer the O.P. and my answer of other/elaborate :
Make sample drop boxes available for landowners and guests. Tell thier wives mothers and sweethearts C.W.D. deer are not good for thier health and they will support hunters kills being tested. Heck , I have to use a seperate from her royal indoor's cuttingboard and tools here!

I've two samples in the freezer.
If I drive to the county seat (no short trip for me and my body ) I might still be able to get a kit to get them tested.
But apparently enough testing was done early on that there's no priority here anymore.
Telling me what? Monitoring spread or decline is more important where testing has not shown positives , than where it did prior? That justifies testing beyond known C.W.D. areas. Not a bad thing per say. It doesn't explain any control of C.W.D. spread through response plan.

If a site wasn't tested for C.W.D. prior , finding C.W.D. now and declaring spread as causation has to address spread from where and when. That pockets existed pre testing is no surprise. Test enough and find C.W.D. travels over multiple states. And such has been established.

If it even matters the spread when the backtrail of know C.W.D. areas is left to recoup losses in populations ;meaning deer expand outward and spread. What has changed regarding any potential "control" of spread then?
What effective plan has been proven to prevent entire states from having an infected population once C.W.D. arrived?
How long C.W.D. has existed on a site pre testing is known/confirmed by what method?

Provide local drop boxes at a minimum if samples are desired.
Being in a proven hot zone I expect deer to have C.W.D.. What does prevalence matter beyond the deer I'm eating anymore? Killing every deer seen is not going to change that on my site. It will create a void other deer can be expected to drift into. Which may well be how C.W.D. arrived in the first place. It wasn't here all along was it?

· Registered
23,989 Posts
They are still holding Dickinson County hostage over a so called positive test on a member of the legislatures property.
I don't trust them for anything. Been several years now and still the same rules and no more positive tests.
With no other positive , is the one an outlier , or a false positive?
Unless the deer dropped out of the sky or was transported , how does the completed testing (numbers of samples processed) with no other positives resulting explain the uniqueness of only one positive?

· Registered
5,052 Posts
Speak for yourself. We need more posts that dox state employee's "besties" and/or ski clubbers marital status and all the juicy details. :rolleyes:
Of the three of us, two of us know the back story on the snakes comments.

Oddly, you can discern a fair amount of evidence from paying attention to the company government officials keep...often illustrated in the past handful of years.

I am surprised you aren't still telling me that CWD is everywhere in the State as well as arguing against a sampling program you did not understand? Or justifying the worth of a former standup comedian and part-time mixed martial arts commentator's "keen insights" and cutting edge interviews on social issues, politics, infectious disease management, etc.

A few years back, The Nokemenon Ski Club used their political and social clout to borrow the State owned PistenBully to aide in grooming their ski race trail, conducted on private and CFA lands annually. The CEO of a local power generating company drove it out onto an open spot to turn around and THEN discovered it was a spring hole. Luckily, he did get out of the track vehicle prior it sinking...to become a total loss. Say, I bet you helped pay for that chunk of machinery that was supposed to be used to groom a State XC facility! Oddly, they also got caught bilking the State out of money for grooming they didn't do under contract with the State. Not to worry someone is paying attention for you.

Okay, I will admit it now. I am the one who released wolves into Michigan's UP. I knew they would serve as an offset to future CWD spread into the peninsula. Can you get me an interview with him? How about if I claim to be the one who forced the US government to disclose information on UFOs? There is some information that Merformin is a potentially effective SARS CoV-2 treatment, how about him interviewing me on that? Really, the pandemic is over? Does he do pet tricks interviews? I have a labrador who howls endlessly when I play the harmonica? NO? Darn!

· Registered
23,989 Posts
Make baiting a two strike offense. First time hefty fine. Second loss of license permanently. More people will follow
Someone baits your site twice with a single sugarbeet you didn't see , reports you for baiting twice and you're done?
Good way to reduce competition!

· Registered
23,989 Posts
The bonus of having 50+ stand sites and setting up and tearing down every hunt is that I don’t have to worry about those gems of humanity
That means you're not the stand owner overlooking part of my property.
(No , I'm not going to sugarbeet him.)
But hey , one good stand beats a dozen no kill ones.

· Registered
1,658 Posts
How many years do you think it should take for the transboundary movement radio collar study to generate enough information to provide guidance? Say, wasn't there a doe that tested positive outside of a former high fence operation inside fifteen miles from the board recently in Wisconsin. How far did the radio collared deer at the three sites being monitored travel into Wisconsin? Context is important, to inform a decision...if you make those judgements based on information and not emotion.

John Gill, a famous statistician once said, "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence". He also said, "All things are probable, fewer-still among them are likely." Somewhere between those two divergent comments is where reality exists. He was trying to convey a very important aspect of probability theory, as well as how it applies to reality.
I would say 5 years max. If the test was even a positive. I would not trust the source. They have taken our antler restrictions out and just put us back a number of years.
It's not like they are enforcing the feeding ban. There are large round feed bales all over the county this winter. More like they have an agenda to get rid of the number of deer.

· Registered
2,624 Posts
When we had tb in hemlock they asked the same thing….. we got permits and selectively killed does. They told us they would have shot bucks and we weren’t having any of that. My cousin worked it out with them and I killed 6 does and that was enough to leave us alone. Put them in a pile and the biologist came by to get them after a phone call. Was kind of fun hunting in april

· Registered
7,307 Posts
Of the three of us, two of us know the back story on the snakes comments.

Oddly, you can discern a fair amount of evidence from paying attention to the company government officials keep...often illustrated in the past handful of years.

I am surprised you aren't still telling me that CWD is everywhere in the State as well as arguing against a sampling program you did not understand? Or justifying the worth of a former standup comedian and part-time mixed martial arts commentator's "keen insights" and cutting edge interviews on social issues, politics, infectious disease management, etc.

A few years back, The Nokemenon Ski Club used their political and social clout to borrow the State owned PistenBully to aide in grooming their ski race trail, conducted on private and CFA lands annually. The CEO of a local power generating company drove it out onto an open spot to turn around and THEN discovered it was a spring hole. Luckily, he did get out of the track vehicle prior it sinking...to become a total loss. Say, I bet you helped pay for that chunk of machinery that was supposed to be used to groom a State XC facility! Oddly, they also got caught bilking the State out of money for grooming they didn't do under contract with the State. Not to worry someone is paying attention for you.

Okay, I will admit it now. I am the one who released wolves into Michigan's UP. I knew they would serve as an offset to future CWD spread into the peninsula. Can you get me an interview with him? How about if I claim to be the one who forced the US government to disclose information on UFOs? There is some information that Merformin is a potentially effective SARS CoV-2 treatment, how about him interviewing me on that? Really, the pandemic is over? Does he do pet tricks interviews? I have a labrador who howls endlessly when I play the harmonica? NO? Darn!
Good lord, you are so incredibly fragile. 🤣

· Registered
5,052 Posts
Good lord, you are so incredibly fragile. 🤣
There is value in being consistent. Particularly since I recall your comments duration and length, as well a your unwillingness to even consider that the folks doing the culling knew what they were doing. I have made an effort to not direct any antagonistic comments your way... One of us opted to take a different course. No idea why a diety need be mentioned or referenced.

· Registered
5,052 Posts
With no other positive , is the one an outlier , or a false positive?
Unless the deer dropped out of the sky or was transported , how does the completed testing (numbers of samples processed) with no other positives resulting explain the uniqueness of only one positive?
I want all my CWD questions addressed, cheaply, quickly, and at no cost to me or the State, and I want to be fully accomodated and personally informed for making an individual submission effort or efforts...

Sure, makes perfect sense...

Yes, deer don't move. That is why the radio collared deer studies conducted along the border have no value to inform what is going on background.

· Registered
5,052 Posts
Wild Thing
Nope, neither of the baiting ban iterations state that baiting will be reinstated after discovery of CWD within the buffer zone along the UP/Wisconsin border. The first actually stated that the ban would be enforced throughout the peninsula, actually.

Natural Resources Law Enforcment personnel have been involved and physically monitored several farms in that locale as far back as McBroom's father's management interval One incident of deer being shot and dumped resulted in revocation of a crop damage permit. The "farmer" immediately opted to attempt to circumvent this denial via Lansing. He was eventually "rewarded" after an intervention where the regional DNR office's decision was overriden via someone's action in the Steven T. Mason building.

Given the contentiousness and the broad animosity of the McBroom farm's ownership members with the MDNR Wildlife Division folks, MDNR LED personnel, and State government entreaties that have ensued over the years, moving my favorite AR-15 spokes model to run for the legislature to gain a direct voice in government, then move to a$$ up the commercial fishing modernization legislation, get involved in hunting preserve closures, etc. Do you think the State would be involved in some coverup of their efforts to either fake or plant a CWD positive animal at that location? Do any of them have the wherewhithall or contacts to do this? Occam's razor is actually well supported by evidence derived via multiple applications. This runs contrary to your statements and their implications.

I was told there was never a genetic linkage component to testing of deer in that geography that I can find, or get comment or acknowledgement of from the folks who were involved. Do you have a name of who you claim to have made that statement? When a rational individual, lifetime deer hunter with good background knowledg of deer habits and biology such as yourself, actually considers the reality that deer move around, particularly UP deer, and mate with other deer who also move around,seasonally and annually, what linkaages would you expect to derive from this type of analysis? I was surprised you would present this as a valid expectation, honestly. Even though it made little sense, I did check it out to verfity.

Baiting and Feeding

· Registered
7,307 Posts
There is value in being consistent. Particularly since I recall your comments duration and length, as well a your unwillingness to even consider that the folks doing the culling knew what they were doing. I have made an effort to not direct any antagonistic comments your way... One of us opted to take a different course. No idea why a diety need be mentioned or referenced.
I don't remember saying anything about culling but if I did it was to my main point concerning CWD, which was that it would likely continue to spread regardless, since that is what it has done in every other state. What a crazy radical thought huh??? I am not an MDNR basher. Never have been. I may not agree with everything, but in no way do I pretend to know a wildlife biologists' business. But enough about me, lol. How about you? Maybe mix in a civil back and forth with the MS members now and then. Lose the constant condescension you immediately throw out as soon as any dare have an even slightly differing opinion or question anything.
Since I wouldn't want you to pick up your marbles and stomp off the playground, going forward, I will try and lay off poking fun at your five paragraph "mean girl" posts and focus on the good knowledge that's in there somewhere. No guarantees though. 😁

41 - 60 of 83 Posts