Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Do you allow access on your property for disease testing?

• Allow them access and cooperate to the best of your ability

• Tell them to kick rocks and hope the neighbors do the same.

• Other (elaborate in thread)

What would you do?

4384 Views 82 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  sniper
Let's hypothetically say a deer in your neighborhood tests positive for CWD or TB, it's an area where the disease hasn't been know to exist previously. The DNR or USDA contacts you and asks to set up feeders on your property where they will have sharpshooters collect more deer for additional sampling. What is your position?
1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Probably tell them I promise to test what I shoot next season
Let's hypothetically say a deer in your neighborhood tests positive for CWD or TB, it's an area where the disease hasn't been know to exist previously. The DNR or USDA contacts you and asks to set up feeders on your property where they will have sharpshooters collect more deer for additional sampling. What is your position?
Would depend on the deer herd.
If there was a surplus of deer then I’d have no issue but there would have to be some sort of agreement on total number I’d allow them to shoot and does only.
If I had 100 deer coming into my field every evening, by all means take a few. If I only have 6 deer coming to my field every evening, probably a no go.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
Speaking from the voice of experience. No. In my area they shot as many deer as they could for three years(USDA). Mandatory tested for a couple years and now it’s like nothing ever happened. It took a couple years to get the deer numbers back up but they’re pretty much normal now.
I'd have no problem and would cooperate for a dead deer on my property. No, on feeders and shooters.
With State land on two sides of my property I think the DNR could easily do whatever they need to on their side of the property line and would not have to bother me.
This is a tricky one.

Chances are good if one deer was found there will be others. Outside of population reduction I question using sharp shooters for anything else.

Do you need them to shoot what is possibly several bucks you were hoping would make it to next year?

I would say maybe if you could dictate terms on what was killed. Ex. You early fill summer damage permits. Shooting does now would be a better proposition.
Reactions: scrriverrat
The term “sharp shooter “ always makes me laugh!
You mean those shooters that wear Pink Camo RH?
Not a chance.

I'd be happy to submit the deer I shoot during season for testing though.
I can’t bait them there’s no way they get to bait. Just saying.
I answered yes, but didn't read your hypothetical first. Answer would be no, unless I do the harvesting then they do the testing. I'd like to help when I can, but no one else is coming on my property to kill deer.
I'd let them come do what they need to do. And since neighbors I don't even know think they can just cross property lines without permission, I'd offer up their properties as well - there's probably feeders already set up that they could use anyway.
There's enough state property that they shouldn't need to test on private.
Would you let these jokers on your land?

Hat Entertainment Font Publication Art
Telling them to kick rocks would be very mild for what I would really say lol
Having lived/living through btb and never even hearing of one in my area I know what they would do to the herd.
AJ says your a crack shot doug.
That’s what they call me Kevin 😂
1 - 20 of 83 Posts