Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

61 - 68 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts
Looking for advice. Neighbor just admitted he shot a buck this morning with a firearm. I know what I want to do.
"Late Antlerless Firearm Season: Dec. 14, 2020 – Jan. 1, 2021• Open on private lands only◊ EXCEPTION: Muzzleloaders can be used on public lands in zone 3 during the late antlerless firearm season. Only an individual possessing a valid public land antlerless license for the deer management unit in which they are hunting, a mentored youth hunting license, a deer license, or a deer combination license may take a deer. A deer kill tag issued under a mentored youth hunting license, a deer license, or a deer combination license can be used to harvest any deer."

Page 40 of the Hunting digest. Clear as mud as far as I'm concerned!
FWIW, this little gem was brought to you by NR Commish, and former MDNR director, Kieth Creagh in a last minute ammendment, brought up and passed THE SAME DAY with NO OPPORTUNITY for MDNR input/response.

The NRC Minutes are here. Page 3 is Creagh's amendment and page 5 is the final vote.
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/MINUTES_7.16.20_1_Signed_700143_7.pdf

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
"Late Antlerless Firearm Season: Dec. 14, 2020 – Jan. 1, 2021• Open on private lands only◊ EXCEPTION: Muzzleloaders can be used on public lands in zone 3 during the late antlerless firearm season. Only an individual possessing a valid public land antlerless license for the deer management unit in which they are hunting, a mentored youth hunting license, a deer license, or a deer combination license may take a deer. A deer kill tag issued under a mentored youth hunting license, a deer license, or a deer combination license can be used to harvest any deer."

FWIW, this little gem was brought to you by NR Commish, and former MDNR director, Kieth Creagh in a last minute ammendment, brought up and passed THE SAME DAY with NO OPPORTUNITY for MDNR input/response.

The NRC Minutes are here. Page 3 is Creagh's amendment and page 5 is the final vote.
That is a gem. A true word salad of unintended meaning. Someone should frame that and give it to Mr. Creagh as a retirement gift.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
6,349 Posts

You know, when explaining a law is this troublesome, maybe you have too many laws.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
But what, if any, APRs apply to this "any" deer?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts

Why would they want or need the MDNR to provide input?

They seem to be getting their direction from other sources these days. ;)

·
Premium Member
30,317 Posts
Classic example of no good can come from this. You might mention that you don't think it's cool which may dissuade him from doing it again. The deer is already dead. Is it really that big a deal? You don't sound too busted up over it. Just leave it alone.
Yeah, several are saying the neighbor should call the DNR and report himself. How many of them call the local police and report themselves when they violate the speed limits or the DNR when they hit their hunting sport too early or leave late with loaded firearms.

·
Premium Member
30,317 Posts
Thanks all for the advice and comments. It’s a catch 22 situation, either outcome is not positive. I don’t think it was a flat out poach but I think it was lack of understanding and sportsmanship. I decided to handle it between us, with the full understanding that it’s not ok and if it should happen again the call will be made. I think my position was understood. It’s a unfortunate situation that isn’t over yet...
I have a feeling he is going to be very cautious sharing any information with you after this episode. He may even decide to keep his distance too.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
DNR really screwed the pooch this year with the untranslatable rules. But given he already filled both buck tags he knew exactly what he was doing when he pulled the trigger. Poaching is poaching and, if not nipped in the bud, will become a habit. I'd have the "let it slide this time" conversation over a beer.

61 - 68 of 67 Posts