Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
from my experience this is not his first rodeo , he just got caught, will not be his last rodeo either, he broke the law not you, ck court house records he may have other hunting violations also then its a no brainer, give a person enough rope and he will eventually hang himself, hell the dnr / sheriffs know these people on a first name basis .

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I don't know if it happened to the neighbor, but it happened to me once. I shot a deer thinking I was filling an antlerless tag. When I got to the deer it was a very nice 6 point. Somehow I had gotten into the mind set that I wasn't going to see a buck, and when I did see a deer I didn't see a buck. Fortunately I had antlerless tags and buck tags that matched the APRs of a six point. There was no reasonable reason for not seeing the rack, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Thanks all for the advice and comments. It’s a catch 22 situation, either outcome is not positive. I don’t think it was a flat out poach but I think it was lack of understanding and sportsmanship. I decided to handle it between us, with the full understanding that it’s not ok and if it should happen again the call will be made. I think my position was understood. It’s a unfortunate situation that isn’t over yet...
Did he tell you initially or did you see the events unfold?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Thanks all for the advice and comments. It’s a catch 22 situation, either outcome is not positive. I don’t think it was a flat out poach but I think it was lack of understanding and sportsmanship. I decided to handle it between us, with the full understanding that it’s not ok and if it should happen again the call will be made. I think my position was understood. It’s a unfortunate situation that isn’t over yet...
You did the right thing with what you know and nobody else is standing in your shoes. Don’t beat yourself up over it. There’s often no easy out, just what seems right at the time. It’s OK and others opinions are pretty much just that.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Sounds to me like your neighbor has put you in a pretty crappy situation. He has forced you to choose the relationship between His poor hunting ethics vs your personal ethics of right and wrong. That makes him a jerk in my books.
How you should handle is ultimately your choice, which isn't fair but neither is life.

For me I would let it go....but not without consequence . Deer die for multitude of reasons (it chould have just as easily been hit be a car.)
I would make him blatantly aware of your disapproval of his choice. To never involve you in a situation like this ever again. If he ever makes the wrong choice again and you find out, you will make the call and stand beside the officer while he hands out the ticket or slaps on the cuffs.
I would be mad and I would disconnect somewhat from whatever relationship was already there. For awhile... and then hope that the shame and your disapproval of his choice was enough to make him understand the error of his decision if he values your relationship at all.
As Humans we are dumb creatures and often make poor decisions based on emotions and poor judgement unfortunately it apppears to be how we learn, or for the the truly dumb never learn. If you think your neighbour can learn a lesson and is not truely just dumb and incapable of learning. Then over time perhaps he might earn back some of the prior retionship you once had. A good amount of time needs to pass for this to happen. And you need to have some sort of sense that has has some level of regret and remorse...not just for shooting the deer but for forcing your to choose between being neighbourly and what is right or wrong.

This is just my opinion. Ultimately what counts is only your own.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I deal with the same issue on a family property. A long time friend of the family had a tagging violation every year, from no tag to family member tags you name it! I had that conversation with him and he will not even look at me now let alone speak to me. But you know what, screw him. He is a poacher in my eyes and when your teenage kids question you on why that's ok it was time.
Like stated, you have to live with it. And yes for some odd reason it makes you the bad guy?? SMH??
Having said that I stand by my decision and like I told him I will call and testify if it continues.
Good luck!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Good for you sir, couldn't have played it better. You probably accomplished more than the DNR would have if they even came out. LEOs do the best they can, but there are far too few of them, not to mention all the BS that makes it hard for them to do their jobs.
Police won't be there when someone breaks in at 2 am and the DNR probably won't stop 95% of the poaching that happens. Good thing we can bear arms for protection, and some sportsman step up and talk to a guy when he does something wrong.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It amazes me how many people on here go to bat for those that break the law or cover for them. People that poach, break the law etc. need to be culled from the hunting population.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
It seems like he shot this buck during the late antler less season. If that’s the case he’s poaching plain and simple. Neighbor or not if he can’t man up and call the DNR you should call them. There’s no excuse for this at all.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It amazes me how many people on here go to bat for those that break the law or cover for them. People that poach, break the law etc. need to be culled from the hunting population.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
The one that drives me nuts all the time :"mind your own business" replies. Will someone explain to me how someone poaching deer that use your own property is somehow not your business?

·
Registered
10,696 Posts
The one that drives me nuts all the time :"mind your own business" replies. Will someone explain to me how someone poaching deer that use your own property is somehow not your business?
Agree. The guy already filled both of his buck tags earlier in the season. He sees another nice buck and just can't resist so he kills another one. He knew what he was doing when he did it. Dirtbags and game hogs that poach deer are stealing from their neighbors and anyone else who hunts in the area.

The way I look at it is there has to be consequences for violating. "If you want to dance...you got to pay the fiddler". If they get away with it they will continue to do it in the future. If you don't want to get involved and just want to MYOB you have nobody to blame for your own poor hunting but yourself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The rule book is open for interpretation this year. It says “any deer” on public land with a muzzleloader during late “antlerless” season.
I’m quite certain we all know what they meant, just very poor choice of grammar in writing/editing material in the rules.......once again, plenty of qualified people need jobs that can handle this, if the current team is struggling.

“Open for interpretation means someone will have an issue with this, regardless of interpretation.
I hope nobody “really” thinks they were legally able to kill bucks during the “antlerless only” season.
Typically people looking for an excuse will find it, regardless.

we all know we could use some fresh ideas within our natural resources division, and desperately need a team to make decisions that truly love & understand hunting, fishing & the general outdoors. We need a new team that will do more than look everything up on the internet and make critical decisions based on an opinion that they truly know little about.
I hate to sound harsh but the natural resources folks have been a true cluster for many years now. Re: hunting & fishing regulations. Something that should be clear and concise seems to have become very complex, even some DNR officers struggle with interpretation of current regulations.
Bottom line is, we all know what “should” be obvious is not always.

have a great day!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Back a long long time ago when I was young and dumb we used to poach a deer once in a while. We knew that there was a chance of getting caught but it was a game. If we got away with it we were good if we got caught we paid our fine and learned a lesson. I'm way too old to play those games anymore.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts