Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say you're hunting an area with about 200 acres of open water. you set up where you always see the most ducks when scouting. a pair of birds flies in, gives you a look, doesn't like your spread and sets down a couple hundred yards away. birds keep coming in every 15 mins or so and they don't give my spread one look, just go straight to the real birds. this happens until there are close to 30 birds!:mad: QUESTION IS: would you try to scare those first couple birds away, or just maybe play with your set-up? Has this happened to any of you guys? The birds were not flaring on me, just not even looking! Did some subtle quacks and feeding calls to the new arrivals, nothing... Thanks, any comments, experience and advice is welcome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for some thoughts. gonna try the same spot today. i'll bust'em if they start trying to out-do me again:D hopefully they all pour right in my spread today

·
Registered
497 Posts
Figure out what they did not like about your setup....decoys..calling...camo...moving in the blind...movement in the spread.....etc....and then scare them out.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Sounds like you are at the right spot, but not the spot on the spot.... Sometimes for reasons only known to the ducks a particular spot on otherwise identical looking water is preferred.

I agree with the others flushing the birds may be your best option if the spot they want is un huntable. With season waning this may not be an option but a change in wind direction may or may not make your spot attractive as well.

Or you can play dirty, paddle out there in a canoe where they want to be. Tie an anchor to an old orange life vest and drop it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got out this afternoon and set-up on the opposite side of my spot today and what a difference. birds just loved it. great end of season hunt! i think that some of my problem friday was the direction that the birds were coming from they got a better look at the real birds first. i set-up near as i could to where the birds were working in that day and it worked like a charm. its great when they commit without a care in the world:evil: too bad thats it for the season:sad: thanks for the input all

·
Registered
656 Posts
hmm, folks still using spinners this late in the season? Have had some real good success as of late without the spinner. Havent used it since early nov.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Are you sure their not flaring from you? When in doubt hide better before going to plan "B". We see and base things on our ground level perspective, birds have a height advantage for viewing. Consider the view from a ground blind vs a treestand for deer, one big difference at only 15' up, think about the view from 50'+ up

·
Registered
28 Posts
Reminds me of a time I was sitting on a small lake in Montcalm County.

There were 500 Ringnecks down in the other end. That didn't bother me much as I was after dabblers.

As I contemplated the morning, I heard a strange whooshing sound. Looked up and at least 500 mallards glided in and landed in the middle of the lake.

I waited a bit and well needless to say, nothing was going to come in to my decoys now !

Touched off the 12Ga to move them and to this day, even though it's been 30 years, I can still hear that sound of over a 1000 ducks taking off at once.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yank your spinner.
thanks for the advice shi kid i agree, but what made you think i had one out? like cheeseandquackers mentioned, i put mine away a month ago. they just get too educated by them. best thing i've done with this spot is not over-pressured it, only hunt one day with two weeks between hunts. seems to really keep the birds fresh and un-educated:D

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
thanks for the advice shi kid i agree, but what made you think i had one out? like cheeseandquackers mentioned, i put mine away a month ago. they just get too educated by them. best thing i've done with this spot is not over-pressured it, only hunt one day with two weeks between hunts. seems to really keep the birds fresh and un-educated:D
because of the symptoms you described tells me you had a spinner up. :)

in spot they were yesterday, nothing changed to tell me they shouldnt be in or return to that spot. either hunter concealment or spinner would be my 2 guesses as to why they avoided you and went to other side. unless of course, the wind flipped from previous day when u observed them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts