Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a few suggestions here guys.......
Currently I'm doing most of my walleye fishing out of a 16' Smokercraft. I also have a 22' Trophy (model 2002) in the barn. The Smokercraft is light and very easy to handle and I fish a lot of the time by myself but, at times have others along. I have a kicker on the Smokercraft. The Trophy has much more room, is certainly a safer ride and I have an electric winch for loading, but no kicker motor.
I had the opportunity to fish with another out of his Lund 1850. What a nice boat. Lighter than my Trophy but with lots of room and certainly much better than the Smokercraft..
I'm looking for a couple..... "I'd do this" responses that might help me to make up my mind.
I can either sell both the Smokercraft and the Trophy and pick up one of the Lunds or, I could sell the Smokercraft and purchase a remote control kicker motor and use the Trophy.
What would you do?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I would buy a kicker for the Trophy. Nice boat, lots of room, great on the big water and much safer. Skeeter:)

·
Registered
880 Posts
I would buy a set of trolling bags for the Trophy and go for it. You will get a nice ride out of the Trophy when the bay gets a little rough.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
This is just my opinion but with bags out first its kind of a hassle, second I am funny about noise and 2 bags make noise. With the cleaner water on the bay now I think it is important to take that into consideration. Another nice thing about a kicker is you are saving wear and tear on main motor and with the price of gas NOW at 350 a gal ouch plus the fact you have a back up motor is a real plus as well. Skeeter

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would get a minn kota electric engine mount. These will push your boat fast enough and cost similiar to the kicker. Gander mountain has them on clearance so you might get one there.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Encore, it's just a personal pref. about what you want to do. I started with a 14 ', bought a 21' sea ray. Kept both for 4 yrs and sold the little boat and could to this day kick myself in the buttocks (if I was'nt 47 and more limber) for selling it. Than I bought a 25' Pro Line and love the boat but a little tuff to haul and no none of my fishing buddies have time to fish and my kid loves the fight of a salmon but will not get up before noon on the weekends to fish for walleye!! I also have a Minn Kota set up on my out drive and love the lack of sound when fishing, the 454 is not gobbling up the gas, and I can fish for about 14 to 16 hrs on a charge. I have the 36 volt 210 lbs of thrust which will push my boat at 3 mph if I were to need it!! Also have some bags for sale if you go that route!!!

Good Luck with your decision!!!!

Mark

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
im thinking about the electric route myself..just outa curiosity what does your boat weigh reel fishn...that will give me an idea what the 36v set up will do with mine but im sure it will push me over 5mph

ENCORE.....get a kicker....or get the sea anchors (bags)...i wont ever use a trolling plate again that much i know for sure...

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Encore - If it was Me, sell the two and get a Pro-V. Tons of storage, great fishability. Yeah, I have a Pro-V and wouldn't change it for the World. After owning differant boats over the years (Always wanting a Lund, but at the time couldn't afford), I pulled the trigger in '03 on a new one. Best move I ever made ! C-man

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MisterTwister said:
I would get a minn kota electric engine mount. These will push your boat fast enough and cost similiar to the kicker. Gander mountain has them on clearance so you might get one there.
Sure wish we had a Gander Mountain up here........:sad: The Trophy has dual batteries, but to add an additional battery and find a location for it might be a struggle. Also being a heavy boat (22' glass), I'm totally clueless on how the Minn Kota's might work on it in the wind. It sticks up out of the water...
I also fish some of the larger inland lakes. Higgins, Hubbard, Torch, along with Thunder Bay. I'm retired and I think the wife might be getting a little upset about this boat stuff. I've owned my own boat since I was 8 years old. Started out with an 8' plywood boat and a trailer made out of bicycle tires and electrical conduit, that I pulled with a bike. I've had everything up to a 31' in a slip at Toledo Beach Marina. GOOD GRIEF... that's 48 years of boating. Where'd the time go....:dizzy:
I think I got maybe one more shot at making any major type of boat/motor change. If I make a move, its got to be the right one. That's why I'm looking for a few suggestions. Good and/or bad.
If I were to keep the Trophy and buy a kicker w/ remote, what HP should I purchase for it and what might be the approximate cost?
A new Lund 1850 is going to run somewhere between $31 to $34,000. I can buy a lot of gas for that price even with the prices as they are now.
At 56 years old, I wonder how long I can manage the Trophy? On a fixed income, spending $34,000 for a boat that I might be able to manage longer, but will I ever pay it off?
I sure like walleye fishing though................

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wouldnt buy the Lund. If it were me I would go buy a 9.9 Mercury Bigfoot 4 stroke trolling motor. It'll run you about $2,000 give or take if you shop hard for one. Check out Linwood Bay Marina (Hoyles) they have a few on clearance. You can troll all day and your gas guage wont move. In my opinion, if you fish the bay often nothing is better then a big deep V fiberglass boat. I know there are a lot of Lund guys in here but I will guarntee that your Trophy will handle the bay- with less than perfect weather- better than any Lund. As long as you dont mind hauling it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Once you go Lund you will never go back. A big fiberglass boat limits what you can do and where you can go. Some of the best walleye bites happen in smaller waters that do not lend them selves to a bigger boat. A Lund is set up for fishing all types of waters, when getting a child hooked on fishing I would much rather take them to a little lake and let them catch bluegills till there little arms are tired. Then when they are ready for the big water I can take them out in the same boat and have 2 more lines in the water, just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
IMHO, with a Lund you are paying for the name. If you lean towards a lund you might want to consider looking at a Ranger. They seem to be a pretty nice looking boat also.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Backlash said:
IMHO, with a Lund you are paying for the name. If you lean towards a lund you might want to consider looking at a Ranger. They seem to be a pretty nice looking boat also.
or a Crestliner or a G2 which from what I understand are all made by the same parent company.

I agree with droptine that a lund style boat is much more verstaile for fishing both smaller and larger waters but that Trophy is a nicely designed fishing vessel and perfect if you plan on mostly fishing the bay.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have been fishing a Trophy walk around cuddy on the bay for a few years. I have used a trolling plate on a Merc 115 offshore. It will get down to that .9 mph speed since the motor only runs on two cyls. below 1700 rpm. Oh, and I'm selling it if anyone is interested, PM me if you want details. Sorry if this is not supposed to be posted here.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
A 17 to 18 ft aluminum boat will be alot easier to handle if your getting a little older. Just my thought!!

Scott

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am fairly new to the larger boat arena but to me I would follow what has been mentioned above. Will you only fish the big water? Then to me it makes sense to stay with the fiberglass and buy a kicker. When I was looking for a boat last year, I still wanted something that would go on smaller inland lakes with out a lot of problems. I ended up with a 20' crestliner that was 4 years old. The thing I like the most is that it has an 8' beam. It is a great boat. There are multiple manufacturers that make the dual purpose style boats. I will admit, if I was only going to fish the big lake, I would have gone a different direction. I have had mine on several smaller lakes now and it floats in some pretty shallow water. What ever you choose, be sure to enjoy it. Rick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts