Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if deer hunting were only with bow and arrow?

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
i'm saying it would be totally different.. for the better.. get rid of the opening day pumpkin patches morons.....
I'd venture to bet that there's an equal percentage of 'morons' in any season. All kidding aside, I believe we'd have a lot more trouble with over population and skewed sex ratio's. I use both gun and bow (mainly a bow though) and I wouldn't have it any other way. Both forms of hunting are enjoyed by more than just morons. ;)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Looking at the over population problem we have now. I could just imagine the population problem we would have with out a firearms season. It would definately be nice to not have to worry about the influx of hunters during firearmseason. It is a an essential part in helping to keep the population under contoll.

·
Registered
23 Posts
true, you'll have morons in every season. the population would be way out of control if there wasn't a gun season and a baiting ban! holy smokes batman... how am i every going to hunt now??

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Probley have bigger bucks running around. Along with WAY TOO MANY does. I am a bow hunter first, but do enjoy being an orange moron for 2 weeks.:coolgleam

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
With or without baiting? Since 70%+ of bowhunters use bait, it's pretty hard to envision what the success rate would be. Probably closer to the 8-10% that is was historically, prior to the advent of compounds and baiting (they kind of went hand in hand) instead of the 32% success rate that archers in Michigan currently enjoy. The overpopulation problem would become so critical within a couple of years that my guess is that non-hunting methods would have to be employed to decrease the herd. The DNR would pretty much close up shop due to lack of funding, too. It would not be a pretty picture, that's for sure.

·
Registered
434 Posts
With or without baiting? Since 70%+ of bowhunters use bait, it's pretty hard to envision what the success rate would be. Probably closer to the 8-10% that is was historically, prior to the advent of compounds and baiting (they kind of went hand in hand) instead of the 32% success rate that archers in Michigan currently enjoy. The overpopulation problem would become so critical within a couple of years that my guess is that non-hunting methods would have to be employed to decrease the herd. The DNR would pretty much close up shop due to lack of funding, too. It would not be a pretty picture, that's for sure.
:yeahthat: well said.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Since bowhunters in general are not taking an adequate number of does and like the ability to shoot 2 bucks every year by shooting a Mulligan buck then hoping for something bigger later in the season so the pressure is off and no chance of getting skunked the population would dramatically increase to the detriment of the habitat.

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
i'm saying it would be totally different.. for the better.. get rid of the opening day pumpkin patches morons.....
You may want to consider the old saying: "Sometimes it's better to remain quiet and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and confirm it."

·
Registered
769 Posts
We'd probably have a herd of wounded deer running around with arrows sticking out of their stomachs, shoulders, and hind quarters.

·
Registered
521 Posts
WOW!
I am a bowhunter first and second and third, but I also gun hunt. If michigan was a bow hunting only state the herd by now would be very small. Starvation and Illness would have cause most of the deer to become Hisory. The Dnr would be smaller because of lack of funds. If you think the loss of hunters is bad due to the baiting ban, can you Imagine how large it would be when the guns were put away. And last but not least, there would most likey be a lot of very restrictive laws on the book, as the bow hunting population would not have enough votes to hold off the anti hunting public from restrictive policies. Hunters must stand up for all hunting rights. If it is legal we should support it. As Bow hunters in MI we have enjoyed 6 weeks before other hunters get their oppertunity. Because we failed to harvest enough anterless deer. The Gun hunters will get to help us out for a few days this year. Please be careful when you call other hunters names. You are talking about the people You need to secure you rights. And you are talking about taking away thiers. You are reveiling our own selfishness. Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
not advocating "bow only" just seeing where others are on the subject. I bow hunt, rifle hunt in the North, and muzzleload hunt.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Michihunter

Finally, we totally agree with each other. While I do not gun hunt, I agree that both camps have the right to be out there and enjoy deer hunting. Wouldn't even want to consider it any other way, and yes there are morons at both camps and many consider me one of them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts