Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. I do not have any type of shelter/shanty and would like to have something portable for next season. I figure that if I start looking for sales/closeouts now, I might be able to get into something at a decent price for next year.

I do not have a ton of garage space (mostly filled with kids toys, strollers, etc.), so for me, I don't want something that takes up a ton of floor space. Something like a Clam Fish Trap, or a "Michiana" shanty would be sweet, but those would be too big to store or haul.

I'm considering a thermal pop-up, like a Eskimo Fatfish 949i, or a Shapell Wide House 6500i. It would be overkill for 1 person, but I have 2 young sons that will hopefully be my fishing buddies in the near future.

So I'm just gathering ideas of what people like (and why) and what I should be looking for.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
If going myself, single person flip. If going with the gf and kids and not super serious I bring the hub. Hubs are great but definitely not near mobile enough to hole hop in crappy weather. FYI I have the 949i, you won’t be disappointed! Holds heat very well!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Personally, I perfer my flips. Everything packs in the sled, easy up/down, and awesome on those crazy cold windy or rainy nights that at the end of the night I can get dressed while inside, pack up, flip and drag... I have an Otter Lodge (heavy) for when the family joins, and a tiny light Shappel 100 flip for lots of moving on my own.

BUT... they only fold down so far, and once in awhile I wish I didnt have to store them for 8-10 months... so if space weighs heavy on your list, a hub might work better for you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Get an insulated hub. Lightweight, saves on space, and easy to set up by yourself. Get a size bigger than you think you need.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Most people will tell you what they have is the best,lol. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. If space is an issue a hub might be you best option. We usually drill 60-100 holes everytime we go, I like to be mobile. With that said you can still set up a hub and use it like base camp even though you may not be in there all the time. We have three flip overs and one hub for the record.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The title says it all. I do not have any type of shelter/shanty and would like to have something portable for next season. I figure that if I start looking for sales/closeouts now, I might be able to get into something at a decent price for next year.

I do not have a ton of garage space (mostly filled with kids toys, strollers, etc.), so for me, I don't want something that takes up a ton of floor space. Something like a Clam Fish Trap, or a "Michiana" shanty would be sweet, but those would be too big to store or haul.

I'm considering a thermal pop-up, like a Eskimo Fatfish 949i, or a Shapell Wide House 6500i. It would be overkill for 1 person, but I have 2 young sons that will hopefully be my fishing buddies in the near future.

So I'm just gathering ideas of what people like (and why) and what I should be looking for.

Thanks!
I'm 66, been ice fishing my whole life. I've used and still have a single person Clam Fish Trap, and a hub shelter. My advice would be to get what you need for TODAY and next year. By the time your sons go fishing in the near future your needs may be different. I raised 3 sons myself, realistically, how long do you think they will sit still in a 6x6 or 8x8 shelter. And those "light weight" hubs weigh 40+ lbs. Then you will probably get a tub type sled to haul your hub, heater, extra propane, minnow bucket, fishing gear food/ snacks for the kids. your lightweight equipment now weighs 80 lbs. Bottom line is do it! Do it today. Enjoy your kids, build memories that will last a lifetime.

·
Banned
10,812 Posts
I've fished out of dozens of setups. I still really like my two man Fish Trap. I don't usually fish with a machine. They are easy to pull. Fits in my truck without having to mess with anything after flipping down. I spear a lot, so a single would not be big enough. I've had mine for two decades and no problems with hard use. Wish it was insulated. Next one will be if mine ever wears out. Also, the dog has a nice place to lay down on his bed in the tub.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I have a Shapell FX200 2 person flip over. I like it for the extra room and I usually pull it with my sled. The downfall for me is if there is not enough ice for my machine and there is a few inches of snow if you don't have a smitty sled its like dragging a dead horse behind you.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
This is a shanty I made and still use from time to time. It is framed out of 1X2's and skinned with 1/4" luan. The roof is made out of the corrugated plastic they make signs out of. The whole thing weighs about 25 pounds and you can pull it with one finger. When I get to my spot I just stand it up and I'm ready to go. Its drawback is its a little clunky to store and travel.
thumbnail 26.jpg

·
Registered
2,383 Posts

Thanks!
Cabelas ice fishing clearance ends today. All shanties and hubs are 25% off.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Years ago I went light weight due to never having anyone else to fish with. So no it's a clam scout, I think its 37 pounds. I like the light weight, easy to load/unload, and quickly to move around and find the fish.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Cabelas ice fishing clearance ends today. All shanties and hubs are 25% off.

Update. Blain's Farm and Fleet has all of their ice fishing stuff at 30-35 percent off and a surprisingly large selection. I picked up my first shanty yesterday. I wanted an insulated one man but they were out of stock, so I went with a 2 man Clam Nanook XL. Got a great deal on it. Just over $300. Even their flashers are on sale.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I have a Shapell FX200 2 person flip over. I like it for the extra room and I usually pull it with my sled. The downfall for me is if there is not enough ice for my machine and there is a few inches of snow if you don't have a smitty sled its like dragging a dead horse behind you.
I have the same, Shappell 200I, on glare ice no problem moving all day, when there is 2 plus inches of snow a smitty sled is required, last year I walked from Day Sail to in front of Geno's, no problem. I also use the smittly skis to load and unload the shanty from my truck, use the ski part as ramps. I mostly fish alone, even at that pulling the sled by foot isn't all that tough. I like the room.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
Let me be the one that votes for not having one. If you want one, get it. But they’re not for me. I move to much to have to move it all the time. And one of the reasons I love ice fishing is because I’m outside. Ya, single digits temps and 20 mph winds can be a real test, but it’s a challenge too.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I have a one man clam flip. But I'm a big man and it can get can afull small after a day in it. So I got a two man pulled out one seat centered the other. Neither are insulated and with the right weather it will rain in there. My next will be a Eskimo with straight door insalated

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Let me be the one that votes for not having one. If you want one, get it. But they’re not for me. I move to much to have to move it all the time. And one of the reasons I love ice fishing is because I’m outside. Ya, single digits temps and 20 mph winds can be a real test, but it’s a challenge too.

Ditto captain my best ice Adventure,s have been on my Ole 7gal;)

·
Premium Member
10,770 Posts

What ever happened to the days of going with a pole a spud and a bucket or a box to sit on. Now days I have to have a sled to haul everything out with me. I have a shanty but only use it smelt fishing. I love standing on the ice. But I do like my power auger and fishfinder. I have a single person flip over

1 - 20 of 21 Posts