Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today driving SB on M37 at 2 Mile, just north of White Cloud there was a massive raptor on a telephone pole.

I pulled over to try and get a picture when it flew up and started to hover about 50 feet in the air.

It was about twice as big as a normal sized redtail hawk. It was basically all brown.

It had light shades of white along the topside of its wing feathers and it had a very, very fan shaped tail.

Couldn't get a photo.

It was almost the size of a black vulture. It definitely was a raptor though. Feathered head. It wasn't an owl - head was narrow.

What type of raptor?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
That would be my guess...

·
Premium Member
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking that but thought it odd for an eagle to hover like a hawk looking for a mouse. I also didn't think that eagles had faint white streaks along the topsides of their lower wings.

But it definitely had a brown chest and not any of the speckling that you would see on a hawk's chest.

The Muskegon river isn't too far away so maybe it was an eagle.

I also did see a kestrel perched on a wire tearing into a small bird in its talons. :)

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
I would also guess young eagle, unles there was open water, then maybe an osprey. For your sake I'm hoping it's not an eagle, they have been known to eat snakes.

My attempt at a lawyer joke...:)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would also guess young eagle, unles there was open water, then maybe an osprey. For your sake I'm hoping it's not an eagle, they have been known to eat snakes.

My attempt at a lawyer joke...:)
Posted via Mobile Device
Or rats. Or insects. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts