Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa got my son a Rem 7mm mag. for Christmas. I don't reload so I am looking for a good factory load. Plenty of stores around here so there should be no problem finding something.

I've used silver-tips for my 30-06 forever and am out of it as far as new gen ammo goes.

We hunt white tail only. Ive heard good things about the FED. plastic tips. Also the Rem. core loc. Both were recommended 150gr.

What to use?

TMAN

·
Registered
80 Posts
140 or 160 grain loads seem to be the top choices. Look for either the 140/160 Ballistic Tip load or the 140/160 Partition load. They should be available from either Winchester of Federal.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Allen is right on! TMAN, will you be re-loading? there are some fantastic loads to try. Hornaday has a SST Bullet that has proven to be a real Deer,Moose and Elk killer. What kinda scope will your son have?

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I 'll start looking at these.

From our stand, the farthest shot is about 130 yds. This is also shooting down from an elevation of about 25 ft. measuring from shooting rail to the swamp floor. I think I should still sight in at 100 yds. Does that sound right?

So now the question is, which grain do I go for?
I'd like to avoid making venison sausage on the spot, which I have heard the 7mm can do with heavier loads for the bigger game like elk or moose.

Much as I wish I would have gotten into re loading years ago I probably won't, in the near future anyway. For next season he will be shooting iron sights. Maybe Santa will get a scope next year. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Best thing to do is get a box (each) of different bullet grains and bullet designs, shoot them, and see what the gun likes far as accuracy.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Ballistic and energy wise,... the projectiles that fall into the 160 grain weight class (160-168) will give you the BEST performance in the 7mm Magnum round. :D

You will achieve the best energy at the majority of ranges with this round.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The faster lighter projectile will create more meat loss than the heavier slower projectile. It's a matter of hydra static shock. The Ballistic Tips will cause more meat loss than the Partition.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sage/Gore

While I'll agree with your bullet weight recommendations, I would strongly discourage the use of Ballistic Tips in a 7mm. Sure they are easy to reload and look great but I can site three experiences (two in a 7 mm and one in a .280) where this round did not perform well on whitetails at short distances (less than 100 yards). The bullet just poked a nice clean hole in the chest and did not expand that much. All three deer were recovered, but there are much better performing bullets out there. Try the PSPCL Pointed Soft Point Core Lokt by Remington or the Pro Hunter or Game King bullet by Sierra. If you are just buying factory loads off the shelf, go with the PSPCL. The performance on game for these is much better than the Ballistic Tips so much so that my brother will gladly give his remaining Ballistic Tip bullets to anyone that wants them.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
The ONLY round that I load for hunting is the Hornady brand. I have use their 162 gr. Interlock's and the 162 gr. SST's and have nothing but GOOD to say about their performance. :D

I have picked up 100 of the 139gr. Hornady SST's to work up a load this spring and summer for hunting Whitetails next year just to see how they will perform. I have had a few people tell me that they too make a sweet Whitetail hunting round.

But,.. as I said earlier the 160gr. class is the BEST for optimum all around performance for the 7mm Magnum caliber. If you look at any ballistic / energy charts and compare the stats you will see that you WILL acheive the best performance with that weight. ;)

I wouldn't dare put any "Ballistic-Tips" through MY 7mm Mag, .. there's just too much energy in that round for it to do any good. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
What powder ya using??
I too have been using the 139gr Hornady bullets in my 7mmMag.....also using Sierra's.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Reloader#22 (66 grains) for the 162 grainers ;) The only other powder that I use for the 162's is Accurate Arms # 8700 (79grains) Both of these are just absolute tack drivers out of my Remington 700 BDL. :D

Reloader#15 for the 139 grainers. I haven't yet developed that load but my starting point will be 63.5 grains

·
Registered
112 Posts
I like the ballistic - tips in the 300 win mag. at 200 yards it will knock the center of a clay out and leave the rest of the clay on the board.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts