Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the initial stages of establishing food plots and looking for some suggestions. I bought Ed Spin's book this winter and was originally planning on prepping our plots this year for frost seeding his Ultimate Blend next spring. We have our soil tests back, applied our 1st spraying of Round Up last Friday, have 2 other spray dates planned...now I'm getting happy feet. We have no access to equipment (except for sprayers and broadcast spreaders) but can get our trucks to 2 of the 4 spots. I'm contemplating planting some wheat or rye in these two spots to provide some attraction for bow season. If we do this, we will miss Ed's coup de grace (spraying around Sept 15). Would this hurt our chances for a successful frost seeding next spring? Would the rye provide too much competition in the spring? Our goal is long term successful plots. Thanks for any and all help or suggestions.

Snag

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Consider planting oats instead of rye, they will provide a good hunting season attractant and die off over the winter so whatever you frost seed will not have anything to compete with. If you want to you can spray on sept. 15 and plant the same day, its not too late to plant grains then. I would probably do my last spraying and plant sept. 1 however. Sounds like you're off on the right track.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Snag, check page 78! I was in the same boat...I'm just shortening my spray schedule by a week per spraying. Thus far I've had great results in my spraying. I'm planning on planting around the end of July or the first week of August. Great book isn't it?!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We need to plant something that does not have to be disked in, just broadcast and packed in...so I don't think oats would work. I'm leaning toward wheat and hope it doesn't mess up our frost seeding of the ultimate blend. Or...what about wheat this fall, frost seeded clover in the spring, and hit the plot with some broadcast brassicas next summer?

Snag

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Oats will do just fine with broadcasting/packing. Seed at 100-120 lbs/acre sometime in the first week or two of September. Any earlier, and with good conditions you run the risk of the oats being too stemmy come hunting season.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts