Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I skinned and butchered my deer, now what can I do with the hide. Seems like a waste to throw it away. Normally we butcher up north and the people I hunt with have a friend that takes them. (not sure what he does with them) Any suggestions would be great. Is there some place I can take it to get tanned and maybe gloves made, or anything else?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Flint Hide will take them and if you turn in 5 hides, you get a pair of deerskin gloves. Of if you don't want it, I'll take them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had one tanned a few years ago and it cost about $50.
The guy gave me the option of keeping the fur on or he could remove it for me.
His price was really reasonable compared to others I called.
If you go that route let me know and I'll send you his contact information.

Brian.....

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
If you have an outdoor room or a room with mounts and stuff, get one tanned with the fur on it. They turn out really nice and it looks great drapped over the back of a couch.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I forgot to mention that if you plan on getting it tanned that you need to keep it refrigerated. Apparently if you leave it outside it gets dried out.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Call your local taxidermist or one from this site. They can send it be tanned or may even do it themselves. Make sure they don't picklie the hide

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Do you have any friends that tie flies for fishing? How about a nearby fly fishing or fly tying club? A lot of clubs give free intro lessons to kids and eat up a lot of material. A free deer hide could go a long way. Just another idea.
Or, ask on the fly tying forum here and maybe there's a member nearby you that doesn't hunt, but fly fishes and would make full use of the hide.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Just do like I and most people do, put it in a large plastic bag at the curb.

I save the tail for a buddy who ties flies.

·
Registered
20,126 Posts
Or,,, you could throw the hide and head in an old, empty 40lb. dog food bag, along with all the fat and other scraps of meat and leave them in your garage and forget about them until spring time. Then put the bag out on the curb with the regular garbage and have the neighbors come knocking on your door wondering, what that smell is, coming from your yard.

·
Registered
334 Posts
A place in Grand Rapids on Front St. takes your hides and will either give you your choice of $5 or a pair of leather gloves or mittens with thinsulate. Three hides will get you a primo pair of leather digit covers with thinsulate. This is a great alternative to dumping yours off at the curb and if you're in the GR area and don't want the hassle. I'll come get your hide for you and take it in... to my benefit of course, but at least you don't have to dump it in your trash. [email protected]
Casey

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Anybody in the thumb or South-East?????? I would love to have a pair of gloves from a deer I took. Wishfull thinking I know.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Originally posted by I'llbeoutside
Anybody in the thumb or South-East?????? I would love to have a pair of gloves from a deer I took. Wishfull thinking I know.
Try Vassar Tanning and Taxidermy in Vassar. Not sure what they do, but I bet they have some sort of program for hides.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts