Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, help me please. My husband is purchasing me a new trail cam this year for my birthday. I don't know what direction to send him. Cuddeback? Stealthcam? Moultrie? I'm reading so many different reviews. . . I just don't know. I know he will probably go up to $350 since that's what I'm spending on his new muzzleloader. TC Omega. Help me please. Aren't I a good wife?! :lol:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Reconyx, best camera for the money. RM-45 20,000 pics on a 2 gig card, batteries last for months, 1/10th of second trigger speed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Regarding the i40 - I have a friend that doesn't care for the new i40 - is your's new or old?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Calhoun, if I could get insurance on my trail cams I would ask for the Reconyx. I've known of too many that get stolen from backyards let a lone the back 50 of my father in-laws property. :sad:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Moultrie I40 is the only way to go!;)

moultrie I40's are great cameras. I have 6 of them and am mostly happy with them. I have taken over 100K pictures (tons of turkeys:D) in the last year and a half with them and so far not to many complaints.

But with that being said the new scoutguard 550 looks to be the ticket. Im ordering 2 this week. From everything I have read its an I40 price range ($200) and will do just about everything better. Its the size of a walkie talkie, battery life is as good as I40 (5000pics), white outs are not an issue like the I40, and the night pictures seem to be better quality.

If you are serious about checking out trail cams I highly recomend chasingame.com....everything you ever thought about wanting to know about trail cams you will learn on there.

Reconyx cams are really nice, but I have a really hard time justifying paying $500 for a camera when my $200 camera has done 100K plus pics and battery life is phenominal.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny you should mention chasinggame.com. . . I'm going through every post right now. . . No to the Stealthcam. . . . No new reviews on Cuddeback. . . and I'm definitely going to check out the scoutgard 550. Thanks much!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bowhunt4fun. . . where are you purchasing the SG-550. I really like the review from Chasinggame.com.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bowhunt4fun. . . where are you purchasing the SG-550. I really like the review from Chasinggame.com.

From what I have seen Beebusy or hunt n live. Both seem like nice guys from what I have read. If you get one before me let me know how you like it....im excited to hear....

Heres a buck I picked up on my I40 last weekend when checking the camera:D

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I saw the Scoutguard on Ebay last night with a "buy it now price" for $189 and free shipping. That is the cheapest that I have seen them.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I use the I-40 and some CuddeBack no flashes and I like them alot. Not sure what my next cam will be though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
my moultrie products are junk, customer service in non existent. Steer clear of anything moultrie.

im sorry to hear of your instances with Moultries. I only have experience with the I40 and I have 6 of them in the woods right now. I had some issues with white outs at first, but so did everyone else...moultrie released there updates and I have taken over 60K pics on my cameras this year. No problems, less then 3% are white outs, and I can get 4200 pictures out a camera in 10-20F temperature im very happy. I cant complain for the money $200 with a 2Gig memory card. Granted I just ordered 2 Scout guard 550's but that seems to be the best camera setup for the money now.

I also have 3 of the moultrie easy feeders that worked flawlessly from December till June. Only complaints is the squirrels seem to like to eat at the plastic on the feeders!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great pics Bowhunt -- in a month or so I want to see pictures of him hanging. :lol:

I'll let you know on the sg 550 - - my birthday is in Nov, but I'm hoping to get the new camera before Oct. 1. LOL

I would love a Reconyx, but the more hubby spends on my birthday the less I get for Christmas. I'm not THAT spoiled.

Bowhunt. . . what are you going to do with the feeders? Are those your new spreaders for your food plots. :cool:

Thanks for all the replies and pictures.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great pics Bowhunt -- in a month or so I want to see pictures of him hanging. :lol:

I'll let you know on the sg 550 - - my birthday is in Nov, but I'm hoping to get the new camera before Oct. 1. LOL

I would love a Reconyx, but the more hubby spends on my birthday the less I get for Christmas. I'm not THAT spoiled.

Bowhunt. . . what are you going to do with the feeders? Are those your new spreaders for your food plots. :cool:

Thanks for all the replies and pictures.
Thanks for the compliments! like you said the Reconyx are very nice, but its hard to justify that kind of money.

As far as the feeders go....not sure yet:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've only had the scout guard cameras for a few weeks now but I really like them , I have built my own in the past but for $200 these seem really hard to beat

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've only had the scout guard cameras for a few weeks now but I really like them , I have built my own in the past but for $200 these seem really hard to beat
Are they really the size of a walkie talkie? If so, what size and how many batteries do they take?

Right now I have 2 I-40's, brand new and in the box, that I plan to sell to buy 1 Reconyx. I already have 1 of the I-40's sold. I may be persuaded to get 2 Scoutguards rather than 1 Reconyx if the Scoutguard reviews are good enough!

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Are they really the size of a walkie talkie? If so, what size and how many batteries do they take?

Right now I have 2 I-40's, brand new and in the box, that I plan to sell to buy 1 Reconyx. I already have 1 of the I-40's sold. I may be persuaded to get 2 Scoutguards rather than 1 Reconyx if the Scoutguard reviews are good enough!
From what I've read they run on 8AA. Should last 80 days or so.
Check out the busybee link posted earlier. Lots of info there. I thought I knew what my next cam was going to be, now I'm so confused!:dizzy::lol:

·
Registered
134 Posts

im not sure what your hunting budget is, but for me I will never be able to justify owning a $500 Reconyx over a $200 I40 or SG550. Im not trying to put Reconyx down by any means the software that comes with the cam is great, but me owning 6 I40's now and having taken 100K+ plus pictures I cant complain.

That being said I ordered 2 SG550's!

By the way if I would not have checked my camera on November 2nd of last year, I would not have hunted this stand and killed this buck the next day!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts