Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted in the Sound Off forum, we've made a small instructional video about our product which is now on our web site. I've asked people to go watch the video and tell me what they think. One thing they've told me is that parts of it would be useful in Hunter's Ed classes.

I'd been thinking about making a hunting safety video, or a series of them, for a while. My question is this, what goes into a good hunting safety video. Should we show the right way and the wrong way to do things. Should it contain lots of tips. Should we divide it into sections so instructors can only show a certain section if they wish?

I really need suggestions and advice and who better to give that to me than people like all of you. If you could create your ideal hunting safety video, what would it be like? I'd appreciate any ideas that you'd care to share.

Thanks,

GSG

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Firearm Safety is a big one. Getting in and out of a stand. How to handle your firearm when approached by another hunter or the DNR
When to load a firearm and when to unload it.

How not to use your scope as a spotting device. "Gee look, Another hunter is over there"

Getting in and out of woods.

Letting other people know where you are and what time you expect to be back

What always to carry in the woods. Flashlight, matches, toilet paper.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I think a big one that i have seen alot of that i always have to correct people for others safety and mine is alway keep your gun pointed in a safe direction. to many times have i walked out with a new hunter in our camp and looked over to talk to them and be facing down a gun barrel. Another big one that should be in there would be KNOW whats beyond your target. To many hunters shoot without knowing whats behind the prey they are targteting.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good ideas, thanks.

One thing we have been toying with is the idea of showing the wrong way to do something and then showing the right way. Of course we'd exaggerate the wrong way a bit, just enough to get the point across.

I appreciate the feedback. Please keep the ideas coming.

GSG

·
Super Moderator
37,855 Posts
Do not point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.
DO NOT EVER, EVER, EVER pull the trigger till you are 100% sure of your target and whats behind it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If your are thinking of breaking it up into segments for an instructor to use, I would put it into a DVD format, that way you can make chapters and an instructor can show the sections they want to. By doing this they can be shown out of order and the instructor doesn't have to fast forward or rewind through a vhs tape. Also use alot of cut-a-way shots, this will make the video easier and more interesting to watch.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These will definitely be DVDs. I guess I use video in the sense of it being a film. So there will be chapters.

Thanks for mentioning that though.

GSG

·
Registered
514 Posts
Whatever you do DO NOT USE DICK CHEANEY IN YOUR VIDEO:lol: :lol:
Sorry I just had to.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dang, cause we were in talks with him!:D

I don't think we have to worry about that happening. The stars of our DVDs will be people who work with our company. It's more fun to make people do stunts if you work with them. :evilsmile

GSG

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Proper wearing of hunter orange if gun hunting. Unlike a hunting show I watched a few months ago when a "farmer" went hunting with his brown Carhartt coat on only wearing an orange hat, not the picture of safety.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely will have the hunter orange. We also purposely had the carrying pouch for the product made in hunter orange to add additional visibility.

Thanks for the feedback.

GSG

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think a valuable saftey tool would be showing how to interact with other hunters in the woods. Disbutes, arguments etc... Even how to walk up to a property owners door to ask permission to track that deer.

FHBH

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's one I hadn't thought of, but it's a good point. A section on hunting ettiquette could be quite valuable.

Thanks for the suggestion.

GSG

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I remember when I took h.s. we watched a couple movies, the one I remember the most had some idiot turkey hunting and using a red hankie to wipe when using his call and getting shot.

I would suggest getting a hold of a h.s. instructor's handbook and picking out important parts of each section. That way each part can be reinforced with a visual.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had planned to hit the IHEA web site, but getting a copy of an instructor's handbook is a good idea. Especially, since we hope this DVD will be of use to instructors.

Thanks for the suggestion.

GSG

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
i would probably avoid firearm safety. its done in the hunters saftey clases pretty well. the fact that no one seems to remember the rules? who knows...
any way id work on things like saftey in treestands. knowing your surroundings and good visability. first aid preperation(not having what you need to give first aid doesn't help.) survival kit info, such as what you should always carry in the woods. energy food, water, fire making kit, signaling device, whistle , flashlight. safety info on things like wearing glasses to avoid the dreaded eye poke from a stick. theres so much to use you could do several videos. highlighting individual areas.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My plan, if the first video works well and sells, is to do a series. Because my company uses the slogan Hunt Smart, Think Safety, I thought that's what we'd call the DVD series.

If we do the series, we could definitely find enough information to do a DVD a piece on several different subjects. I think it could be a lot of fun and very useful.

Thanks for the suggestions.

GSG

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wish there was a hunters safty video geared tword 6 to 10 year olds. My son is six and spends many hours with me hunting and fishing. He knows alot but a entertaining video would help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts