Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never use a yelp or mating call to locate a bird before season starts. A gobble call, owl hooter or my favorite, a crow call will do the job without actually calling in a bird.
A mature Tom Turkey, as a rule of thumb, will only be called in 2, maybe 3 times in it's life. If you call , he will answer and eventually come in to find no hen.
Strike 1. Don't educate'em.

Never call from the road. This happens alot with state ground.
Everybody calls from the road. If this is happening in your hunting area, get out in the woods and call from different locations.
Location, location, location. Very important here, especially on hard hunted birds. Call where a turkey hasn't been called to before and cluck, cut and purr. Yelp sparringly and call softly.
Try something he isn't used to hearing alot.

·
Registered
823 Posts
And listen to how the real hens talk !!! Before, during, and after your hunt. The key... listen !

I've been on lonely hens who couldn't bring in a tom (none were answering either).

I've been between the real thing and toms and had another hen pull the toms away. Of course the real things just walked that way.

I've called to hens with toms and had them come in. Loud and aggressive. Doesn't always work so don't think I'm telling you this is foolproof. I've had the same situation and the hens pulled the tom away from me instead of coming to talk to me.

The more you are out, the more you learn and experience. Ths what's so cool about this sport.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I agree - good advise
Too many people call before the season
Even during the season I won't usually call unless I hear a turkey first especially if using the running & gunning method.
If I have roosted birds located the night before & I'm set up and know where the turkeys are then I will call, just before they fly down.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I wish that this info was printed right on the application for everybody to read.

A couple of years ago, I was hunting a booker and an adjacent property owner would mess me up by calling long and hard well before daylight. I just ended up packing up and going somewhere else.

That same idiot is already calling according to a neighbor and you gotta know that that particular area is prolly gonna be worthless to work birds again...:mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts