Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm shooting a new CVA 45 long-range ml this yr. with the power belt elr aero tip bullets I'm getting the best groups I've ever shot before. i was just wondering what rifle and bullet everyone else is shooting this yr?

I'm shooting a mag load with 3 triple 7 pellets behind these big heavy bullets. these long-range rifles are supposed to shoot accurately on big game at ranges of 300 yards. not that I would take a 300-yard shot anymore but being accurate at 100 yards or less means less wounded deer. and I'm sure there are others that would take a 300 yard shot with these accura long-range rifles in 45 or 50 calibers. I'm sure there are enough people that would try it with a standard ML. these rifles have an extra-long barrel for shooting at longer ranges.

so tell me what your shooting and what bullet and powder load you shoot? what attracted you to this rifle and load. i have a 50 encore that shoots well enough to bring home deer but I was just intrigued by this 45.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks like a nice muzzeloader. Does it use 209 primers, or large rifle? The reloaders are saying primers are in short supply. I think with alot of range time, you could definitely increase your range.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I always found powerbelts to be very accurate, but lacking in terms of terminal performance. They aren't really jacketed and come apart when they hit deer. I would try the spire point bullets T/C Shockwave, Hornady, etc. I don't shoot my muzzleloader all that far and have settled on the 300gr. Harvester Scorpions. Pretty much plants them on the spot.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a nice muzzeloader. Does it use 209 primers, or large rifle? The reloaders are saying primers are in short supply. I think with alot of range time, you could definitely increase your range.
I think its a nice rifle. the 1st one I owned was a cheap cva kit gun. ever since they were bought out they made great changes to a higher quality company. i use the 209 primer but I believe they have a conversion kit to the large caliber rifle primers. what rifle and load do you shoot?

Nothing fancy just a TC Renegade 50 cal.
all MLers are a little fancy that's why were shooting them. I've used several ML over the yrs. i even tried the savage smokeless powder gun. but after a couple of misfires I got rid of it. but I should have tried a different powder.

what load and bullet works for you? do you use loose powder or pellets?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I ditched power belt because I wasn’t getting pass through and I observed the same from another guy that shot them. I will say they had great groups though.

I don’t hunt with it much anymore, but I use a TC Omega w/ 300 grain Hornady XTP

·
Registered
37,056 Posts
So many choices so little time. My safe is full off choices with each one being set up slightly different.

Reactions: sherman51

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
I had a .45 cal years ago - Knight Disc Extreme, and I killed quite a few deer with it but components - bullets and sabots were very limited so I sold it and now shoot only 50 cal. I am shooting a T/C Pro Hunter and Elaine is shooting a Traditions Vortec.

Powder - Blackhorn 209 - cleanest burning with no crud ring. I have been weighing my powder charges on my powder scales for several years now but most everything we have been shooting has been with more moderate loads - 70 - 77 grains by weight (100 - 110 grains by volume). Never liked pellets and haven‘t used them in many years.
Magnum loads seem to punish us much more but don’t give us any more accuracy or performance.

Primer - Fed 209 A for the Pro Hunter and Win 209 for the Vortek - The Fed primer has a lot of blowback and fouling on the face (back side) of the breech plug on the Vortec while the Win 209 leaves it clean after many, many shots and we have had zero ignition issues with either with the BH powder.

Sabots - we have tried many different types and each barrel and bullet seem to have their preference. Currently using the MMP HPH-24 with the Barnes Expander MZ (250 grain) in the Pro Hunter and the Harvester Black Crush Rib Sabot with the same bullet in the Vortec.

We have not yet shot any deer with the Barnes bullets but will be trying them out soon. We have killed deer with everything from patched round balls and conicals to saboted bullets from several different brands but have most consistently used the Hornady SST ML (and its knockoffs such as T/C Shockwave) with about 100 grains (by volume) of BH209 in Harvester Black Crush Rib sabots.

Working on loads again this week so some of this may change by next week :D

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
i'm shooting a new CVA 45 long-range ml this yr. with the power belt elr aero tip bullets I'm getting the best groups I've ever shot before. i was just wondering what rifle and bullet everyone else is shooting this yr?

I'm shooting a mag load with 3 triple 7 pellets behind these big heavy bullets. these long-range rifles are supposed to shoot accurately on big game at ranges of 300 yards. not that I would take a 300-yard shot anymore but being accurate at 100 yards or less means less wounded deer. and I'm sure there are others that would take a 300 yard shot with these accura long-range rifles in 45 or 50 calibers. I'm sure there are enough people that would try it with a standard ML. these rifles have an extra-long barrel for shooting at longer ranges.

so tell me what your shooting and what bullet and powder load you shoot? what attracted you to this rifle and load. i have a 50 encore that shoots well enough to bring home deer but I was just intrigued by this 45.
I'm shooting the new CVA Paramount Pro HTR 40 caliber for shooting wide open ag fields in December. I still have my White muzzleloader that I use in the woods for closer encounters. I shoot 290s in that with 90 grains of powder. I still need to get to the range with the 40 caliber and the ELR 225s. Never had a power belt NOT exit a deer only using 90 grains of powder.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm shooting the new CVA Paramount Pro HTR 40 caliber for shooting wide open ag fields in December. I still have my White muzzleloader that I use in the woods for closer encounters. I shoot 290s in that with 90 grains of powder. I still need to get to the range with the 40 caliber and the ELR 225s. Never had a power belt NOT exit a deer only using 90 grains of powder.
I won’t waste time arguing about Power Belts, I was all about them at first. But, I think they are notorious for paper punching accuracy but also for not exiting

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I won’t waste time arguing about Power Belts, I was all about them at first. But, I think they are notorious for paper punching accuracy but also for not exiting
I suppose everyone's experience vary's using different bullets. I started shooting for the higher above shoulder shots and deer dropped on the spot but lots of meat ruined. No exit either. Then began shooting behind that area for lungs and complete pass thru's occurred Everytime.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never liked the older power belts but I think this new aero tip elr bullet will make a difference. I shoot the 280 grain but they have a 330 grain. but for small game like deer, there's just no need for the extra kick from a 330 grn bullet. i don't know ow why you guys are not getting pass-throughs on something as small as deer unless you're hitting both shoulders. I have only had one shot not go through since I started hunting. but I've always used the max loads. when I was shooting round balls I used 100 grns of black powder. one yr I had to use a double barrel 12 gauge with 690 round balls and 90 grns of black powder. i shot a buck at 52 steps and the ball went through. it got both lungs and left a half moon grove in the top of the heart.

I am not arguing with you about power belts. I respect your right to not like them. I didn't like the old ones myself. and I haven't shot a deer with the aero tip elr yet but I love the way they shoot in my gun. you all have a nice day. but the CVA rifles of today are not made by the same company that made the old CVA junk of years past.

and thanks to everyone that posts.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I never liked the older power belts but I think this new aero tip elr bullet will make a difference. I shoot the 280 grain but they have a 330 grain. but for small game like deer, there's just no need for the extra kick from a 330 grn bullet. i don't know ow why you guys are not getting pass-throughs on something as small as deer unless you're hitting both shoulders. I have only had one shot not go through since I started hunting. but I've always used the max loads. when I was shooting round balls I used 100 grns of black powder. one yr I had to use a double barrel 12 gauge with 690 round balls and 90 grns of black powder. i shot a buck at 52 steps and the ball went through. it got both lungs and left a half moon grove in the top of the heart.

I am not arguing with you about power belts. I respect your right to not like them. I didn't like the old ones myself. and I haven't shot a deer with the aero tip elr yet but I love the way they shoot in my gun. you all have a nice day. but the CVA rifles of today are not made by the same company that made the old CVA junk of years past.

and thanks to everyone that posts.
The 295 tipped or hollow points (if tip removed) both shoot 1" 100 yard groups in my White. Plenty accurate. Both equal in performance on game. Like I said we all have different experiences so certainly not worth arguing over.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Bought a new ML this year after I could not keep groups with my omega. This thing is 25 years old and pitted pretty bad. Was going to kansas for early ML season and wanted to shoot 150 gr of 777 powder for any potential long range (200 yard) shots. Went out and bought a stainless optima v2 and love it. Gun was 289 and threw a vortex 4-12 scope on it off of my rifle and got super confident with it. Went to kansas and ended up smoking a big 162" buck. Guide in Kansas said they don't get pass throughs on these deer and I proved him wrong. I'm shooting a 285 gr Barnes expander boat tail. Used to shoot the 250 gr but switched to up the energy retention at these longer possible shot opportunities.

Funny thing is the engineers from Hornaday were also in camp and asked what I was shooting and they didn't have anything to say when I told them Barnes. They did the job on my 250 lb deer and my dads 275 lb deer both aged 6.5 plus. You can't beat the terminal ballistics of these bullets.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I don't put much concern into bullets not exiting deer. I've Shot many whitetails with a 130 grain bullet from a .270 and most never exit. Still the deer is DRT like many of my muzzleloader deer end up. If they run, they run out maybe 30-40 yards and easy to find. It's the arrow I prefer to exit the deer during the shot.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
290 grain Barnes TEZ thru my Ultimate 50 cal., 268 and 178 yards, both deer just tipped over.

Like, Nosler Partition’s, no reason to try anything else.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Currently shooting a CVA Accura .50 cal. I've used three pellets for years but switched to Blackhorn 209 this year. Haven't played with loads yet.

I've had good success with Hornady's and their shockwave counter parts personally, but personally know two different people who had issues with limited or no expansion with them. I switched to Barnes TEZ last year and had fantastic accuracy and performance with them, plus I like having all copper.

I will log another vote against Powerbelt. I've admittedly not shot their newer bullets so hopefully they're better. But we had significant terminal performance issues with them in the past. We had one completely fragment on impact with the shoulder, resulting in zero penetration but anchoring the deer enough for a quick track and follow up shot (the impacted shoulder was completely mangled, zero penetration into chest cavity upon necropsy) and we had two separate instances of zero expansion; just a .50 caliber hole straight through both sides, limited to no internal damage. Looked just like a fully jacketed bullet had zipped through.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Currently shooting a CVA Accura .50 cal. I've used three pellets for years but switched to Blackhorn 209 this year. Haven't played with loads yet.

I've had good success with Hornady's and their shockwave counter parts personally, but personally know two different people who had issues with limited or no expansion with them. I switched to Barnes TEZ last year and had fantastic accuracy and performance with them, plus I like having all copper.

I will log another vote against Powerbelt. I've admittedly not shot their newer bullets so hopefully they're better. But we had significant terminal performance issues with them in the past. We had one completely fragment on impact with the shoulder, resulting in zero penetration but anchoring the deer enough for a quick track and follow up shot (the impacted shoulder was completely mangled, zero penetration into chest cavity upon necropsy) and we had two separate instances of zero expansion; just a .50 caliber hole straight through both sides, limited to no internal damage. Looked just like a fully jacketed bullet had zipped through.
Had my step son have that issue with the hollow point version. He hit a small sapling first and when we recovered the bullet, it had bark and wood inside the tip. Acted like a FMJ because the bullet essentially was one after the hollow point got plugged. Bullet was somewhat mangled and on the opposite side hide of the deer.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts